• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2013 (Part 4)

basquecook

[Moderator note: The original Dinner! topic became too large for our servers to handle efficiently, so we've divided it up; the preceding part of this discussion is here: Dinner! 2013 (Part 3)]

Dinner for 30 last night.. We did a private catering event for someone's rehearsal dinner. 8 courses wine pairing and cocktails.

The Menu was:

Fried Zucchini Blossoms-

they were stuffed w/ ricotta and smoked mackerel

Lobster and buratta salad.

poached lobster, corn, buratta, pickled peaches, broiled peaches, globe basil, tomato, thai basil, lobster oil and saba.

This is an early photo prior to oils and final plating

9332498208_839bfc2408_z.jpg

9329697291_b48780d90c.jpg

Farro with sous vide egg.

made a farro. toasted it in a hot cast iron pan. farro started to pop and they puffed and crisped nicely without drying out. Topped the faro with a poached egg. Topped the plate with mushroom broth. added cooked shitake mushrooms. drizzled a tarragon oil and topped with crispy sugar shallots.

Pea Ravioli.

Pea ravioli was stuffed with fresh peas mashed with ricotta. a little sugar and some lemon. Topped with broken guanciale. ravioli with a little ham broth. topped with micro wasabi.

Pork Belly.

Bought a slap of smoked bacon. braised for 5 hours and pressed overnight. cut into portions, glazed, served cold in a cantelop and pork stock.

9332487810_91aa712742.jpg

Next was a Tangerine and rosemary granita

We made individual pavlovas. topped with a lavender cream with stewed and fresh strawberry.

edible flower

9332485928_524862c35b_z.jpg

lastly chocolate semi freddo with salted almonds followed by a glass of homemade lemoncello.

240 plates with two people cooking. pretty tiring.

Edited by Mjx
Moderator note added. (log)
  • Like 3

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

Darn it. My post is going to follow mm84321. I can only dream to achieve that level of artistry. Porchetta with potato and lima bean pancake with grilled eggplant and roasted vegetables.

P1010836(1).JPG

And a couple of dishes from last night. Compressed melon with feta, lemon verbena, red onion and clementine zest.

P1010820(1).JPG

Corn and leek soup with leek oil.

P1010826(1).JPG

• Like 3

Pepper crusted foie gras with cherries

lovely pictures

Very pretty dish. Mind revealing what the thing sitting under the cherries, the flowers, and the dots to the right are?

Thanks. Sure. Beneath the cherries is a piece of rhubarb which is poached in a cardamom syrup. The flowers are borage, from my garden. The dots are simply a reduction of banyuls wine and balsamic vinegar. Also, between each cherry are bonbons made by cooking cherries in a white vinegar/sugar syrup, seasoned well with pepper, then pureed and set in demi-sphere molds with some gelatin.

basquecook - I second Ann_T's WOW. I struggle getting dinner for four prepped.

David Ross - Great looking dinner. Were the potatoes deep fried?

dcarch - Tough to beat wings and bacon. Any special prep for the okra?

basquecook - I second Ann_T's WOW. I struggle getting dinner for four prepped.

David Ross - Great looking dinner. Were the potatoes deep fried?

dcarch - Tough to beat wings and bacon. Any special prep for the okra?

Yes, the potatoes are deep-fried. I start with russets and boil them, skin-on, until just tender. Then drain and let them cool to the point you can remove the skin. While still warm use a melon baller to cut out little potato balls. Then they need to cool in the fridge at least a few hours to cool down the starch. When you're ready to fry, use the basic two-step French fry method. I start with 350 oil for about 3 minutes, let the potatoes cool a bit, then the second fry at 375 til golden, about 4 more minutes. They're really good for breakfast instead of hash browns.

• Like 1

Steve, great looking dinner. I want to pick up that soup and sip it.

MM, you must really have a steady hand.

David, I also use russets but I cut the balls from a raw potato using a melon baller.

Roast%20Turkey%20Breast%20July%2022nd%2C

Roasted a whole turkey breast.

Roast%20Turkey%20Breast%20July%2022nd%2C

Turkey dinner with all the sides. Instead of a stuffing I made a German Bread Dumpling, poached (Serviettenknodel) with traditional sage dressing seasoning .

• Like 2

Basquecook -- chiming in with another WOW here -- yours is the rare menu for a high end multi-course meal where I thought "I desperately want to eat every single one of those courses!!"

Thanks that is very sweet.. I have another crew of 30 coming this weekend. The lazy person in me wants to repeat the menu as I felt everything was fantastic, while I am nervous I may be bored making the same things again. I may borrow a few things but, as we never write anything down, even the things we start out making the same way some how end up changing a bit. We shall see but, I appreciate the kind words. I know that they mentioned they have an inside joke surrounding Grand Marniere so, I may have to incorporate that into the meal somehow. Perhaps a grand marniere granita or something. I need to buy a bottle and see what that stuff takes like.

I appreciate all the kind words..

Scotty Boy- That egg dish was so beautiful, I want to make that dish myself. It looked like something my wife would love, even with those chives!

Ann T- everything you make is so up my alley. You even make turkey breast look delicious!

Franci- i also really look forward to seeing your meals. Beautiful, creative, just really inspiring.

Kim and Percyn, David Ross, Baselerd, Patrici and Steve Irby beautiful meals as always.

C.Sapidus, for years I have enjoyed watching you cook your Asian Inspired Meals.

And MM84321 as pretty a picture. So cool what you do, I definitely don't have the artistic ability or the patience to do what you do. I am a gorilla in the kitchen. It will taste good but, presentation is never my thing. I envy your skills.

I rarely praise other people's meals and appreciate when people say nice things to me. So, if I forgot anyone I am sorry but, i really do love this thread and feel proud to be in such talented company.

Edited by basquecook (log)

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

image.jpg

Fig and goat cheese pizza. Saw the ad in the latest Food Arts magazine and had to make it.

• Like 2

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

Long day in the kitchen. We had a death in the family so I prepared various dishes for the wake.

Baked salmon seasoned with Calico Fish Rub from Worldspice.

P1010844(1).JPG

I smoked two pork butts for pulled pork, cooked a spiral ham, prepared coleslaw, baked beans, potato salad with a couple of other items.

P1010846(1).JPG

And made a few peach tarts as the peaches are at there prime for the next couple of weeks.

P1010849(1).JPG

P1010860(1).JPG

Edited by Steve Irby (log)
  • Like 2

Steve Irby – The salmon looks great. Regarding my okra, they were grilled with bacon fat.

Jmahl – figs and goat cheese pizza, I like that combination.

Scottyboy – That is a fine looking bacon cheese burger.

Ann_t - totally gorgeous Roasted whole turkey breast.

Mm84321 - Very artistic, as usual.

Franci – The stuffed eggplant looks yummy, but I am more impressed by the French fries.

Basquecook – You can’t be serious! That was an amazing meal!

Sapidus - the Tequila shrimp and pasta looks very tempting.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - -

Sous vide Porter House steak, 128F. Seared each side at 570F on CI pan. I didn't want to cook (residual heat) on one side more than the other if I lay the steak on the plate, so I plated the steak vertically.

sirloincarrots.jpg

sirloincarrots2.jpg

Shrimps with Lobster sauce on bacon ( I know, but I had to use up the bacon :rolleyes: )

SHRIMPLOBSTERSAUCE.jpg

SHRIMPLOBSTERSAUCE3.jpg

dcarch

• Like 2

Dcarch and rotus, so many people I forgot to mention..

I love the salmon, it looks amazing. i feel that not enough people know about buying whole sides of salmon. When we cook a brunch for family, we poach a whole side the way you roast it. We then make a simple horseradish dill sauce to cover Poach in a white wine stock. for moments. But even the way you roasted it. it's great for a large group as it is awesome the next day. on bagels, or for lunch, or as blts, or in eggs, or even in pasta or ravioli. I guess most people are intimidated as it's fish. But, a salmon in the fridge is as good if not better than leftover turkey.

tonight, we had a friend sleep over.. We were watching something about pasta. drinking tequila and playing bananagrams. somehow, i said i could make gnocchi in 45 minutes.. from scratch.

in 35 minutes, most of it watching water boil, i should have diced the potatoes.. not my finest moment. made, sage and butter from the garden, a lobster chile oil sauce

9357042608_c87cd3b505_z.jpg

Edited by basquecook (log)

tonight, we had a friend sleep over.. We were watching something about pasta. drinking tequila and playing bananagrams. somehow, i said i could make gnocchi in 45 minutes.. from scratch.

in 35 minutes, most of it watching water boil, i should have diced the potatoes.. not my finest moment. made, sage and butter from the garden, a lobster chile oil sauce

Haha that happens all the time with me. I often tell people that sometimes it's dangerous knowing how to cook.

Many a late night cooking session has happened that gave me the pot belly I have today...

• Like 1

Sleep, bike, cook, feed, repeat...

Chef Facebook HQ Menlo Park, CA

My eGullet Foodblog