• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Paula Deen's Cook Tells Almost All

weinoo

Many years ago, a Black woman who worked in the deli/bakery dept. at a local grocery store made "bread" pudding from leftover glazed donughts and canned fruit salad that was a best seller.

All I can add is Gaaacckkkk!

Only tangentially relevant but I'm reminded of one of the dopier romantic comedies made in the late forties called "Mr. Blandings Builds his Dreamhouse" starring Cary Grant as a kind of pre-angst Don Draper. The Blandings family's black maid saves his white butt when she comes up with the sales pitch and tag line for his ad campaign for the jinxed Wham Ham. This is a cringe inducing mess of a movie that could be analyzed from any number of sociological viewpoints. By saving his job, Gussie saves the house, the marriage and the suburban dream of post-war America. Does he hire her as a copywriter? I don't think so.

Where's the irrefutable proof that Mrs. Deen stole Mrs. Charles recipes and passed them off as her own?

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Mrs. Charles seems to have enjoyed a number of perks and bonuses throughout her years of friendship and employ with Mrs. Deen. She also seems to have some unrealistic expectations about what is owed to her by PD. It appears to this reader that Mrs. Charles rather limited education and lack of worldly ways have been exploited by the writer at the NYTimes. A writer who seems to see all Southern whites as bigoty bigots who are bigoted.

Talk to any employee of a big company. They work hard, get paid, company gets the fruit of their labors. What's the big deal?

Yes, working as someone's cook, housekeeper, maid, etc. is exactly the same as working at a big company.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Talk to any employee of a big company. They work hard, get paid, company gets the fruit of their labors. What's the big deal?

Yes, working as someone's cook, housekeeper, maid, etc. is exactly the same as working at a big company.

Ahem. I was addressing one aspect if this issue with an entirely apt analogy. A worker's product is property of the employer. If this woman was asked to develop recipes the employer would own them.

• Like 2

While employed by Mrs. Deen, "She [Mrs. Charles] developed recipes, trained other cooks and made sure everything down to the collard greens tasted right."

Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/25/us/paula-deens-soul-sister-portrays-an-unequal-bond.html?hp&_r=0

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Neither have I ever understood PD's appeal, with that nasal voice and hideous drawl, she screams "I IS IGNORANT!!!

I'm with you. She is loud, boorish, dumb-looking, says stupid things, cooks what looks like crap. What's the appeal?

This demonstrates that much of the invective directed towards Paula Deen has much more to do with who she is then what she did. People need to know their place. Ms. Deen was to uppity for those of us with much higher intellect and much better taste. She should have been happy to sell sandwiches on the street

Of all the fucking nerve. Go get a job at Wal Mart. None of us important people of high culture would dream about going there

You have read an awful lot into my saying that I don't see her appeal. I think that she's been treated unfairly even though I don't agree with what she said/did or like her product.

Ahem. I was addressing one aspect if this issue with an entirely apt analogy. A worker's product is property of the employer. If this woman was asked to develop recipes the employer would own them.

Apt analogy for...some. Of course, depending on what that employee was promised over the years.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Mrs. Charles seems to have enjoyed a number of perks and bonuses throughout her years of friendship and employ with Mrs. Deen. She also seems to have some unrealistic expectations about what is owed to her by PD. It appears to this reader that Mrs. Charles rather limited education and lack of worldly ways have been exploited by the writer at the NYTimes. A writer who seems to see all Southern whites as bigoty bigots who are bigoted.

Sounds awfully like one of Woody Allen's self-hating jews.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Paula's back in the news...again.

"Paula Deen shutters Uncle Bubba’s — without bothering to tell her employees"

Thursday, Deen suddenly closed the Savannah, Ga., restaurant, which she co-owned with her brother, Bubba Hiers.

What’s more, she didn’t tell her employees but let them show up to work, only to find kitchen appliances being removed from the restaurant. The Savannah Morning News reported that employees were collecting their severance checks in the parking lot.

Paula...such class.  :hmmm:

This was the restaurant at the center of the now infamous lawsuit. The shuttering seems late in coming.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver