• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Leftover Rib-Eyes?

furzzy

We had rib-eyes for a crowd, but had a lot left over. They've been sliced, about 1/2" slices, and they were 1-1/2" thick. I also still have the excess marinade which I reduced almost to a demi-glace, so would like to use that, too.

We're having 3 guests for dinner tomorrow night & I'd really like to use that magnificent steak - I probably have 2 pounds left. Sorry the picture is so blurry - I cropped it as a tiny bit out of a much larger pic.

Suggestions, please on what to do to make it wonderful the 2nd time around for guests.

image.jpg

Grill up some bell peppers, onions in fajita seasoning. Throw in the sliced steak for a quick stir-up on a hot sizzling cast iron platter. Add fixings and have a fajita party!
Or do up stroganoff noodles and sauce, add sliced beef at the last just to heat up. A big salad and bottles of nice wine, and it's party time!

• Like 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Steak salad. We had some today, using leftover vacío from a restaurant meal in Morelia Mexico. The dressing was a vaguely Vietnamese one of fresh lime juice, fish sauce, garlic and sugar. Also a pinch of ground red chiles. I'm eating the last of it now over cold Asian noodles. Unfortunately, all the steak is eaten, but it's still good.

Edited by Panosmex (log)
  • Like 1
Buen provecho, Panosmex

You can also make a quick fried rice. Cut off the fatty bits of the meat and cook some until rendered, add in rice and fry with whatever stuff you have in the fridge. Then add the meat at the very end to just warm through.

PS: I am a guy.

My go-to ideas for leftover steak are salad, fajitas, and stir-fry or fried rice or something of the sort, but it looks like others have pretty much covered those already. You could make sandwiches (with peppers and onions, or with ruthcooks's mustard idea). Add them to a SE Asian-ish peanut noodle dish with cucumber. Or make a quick summer vegetable saute or stew, and at the last minute, toss in the steak.

Lucky you!

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

If you're still thinking of serving the leftover steak to guests with some of the suggestions made here - Maybe quesidillas? The leftover steak (room temp-not reheated), sauteed mushrooms and onions and blue cheese.

Or just keep the leftovers for yourself and start over for the guests.

I agree with the fajita's, but please dont waist such a good cut of meat on a salad. Salad should be reserved for cheap $1.99/lb chicken breast (healthy) for chicken ceasar salads. You could also let them ribeye strips cool and slice very thin for steak/cheese steak sandwiches, hell if you made fajita's and have leftover green peppers and onions, you could take some provolone cheese and make philly cheese steaks.

Edited by FeChef (log)

. . . please dont waist such a good cut of meat on a salad. . . .

Oh noooo... why would you want to make a salad with anything less than stellar meat? :sad:

True, a salad can be easily designed to hide the shortcomings of one of the ingredients, but a simple, perfect salad made with top-notch ingredients and minimal dressing (e.g. a little of a really excellent balsamic vinegar, which plays off beautifully against both beef and intense, delicate greens such as baby rucola or baby mustard) is one of the pleasures of summer.

• Like 1

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

To me, that dishonors the salad tremendously.

dont waist such a good cut of meat on a salad. Salad should be reserved for cheap $1.99/lb chicken breast (healthy) for chicken ceasar salads.

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

. . . please dont waist such a good cut of meat on a salad. . . .

Oh noooo... why would you want to make a salad with anything less than stellar meat? :sad:

True, a salad can be easily designed to hide the shortcomings of one of the ingredients, but a simple, perfect salad made with top-notch ingredients and minimal dressing (e.g. a little of a really excellent balsamic vinegar, which plays off beautifully against both beef and intense, delicate greens such as baby rucola or baby mustard) is one of the pleasures of summer.

I'm totally with you on this one. Totally. To the point that I often intentionally order or cook a larger ribeye than I think I'm going to eat. It's a fine fine luxury to have such a tender piece of beef in a salad. I've had various cold beef salads with cheap, tough, gristly beef so often in the past that I don't even order it any more, even though meat salads are one of my very favorite things. Hate trying to chew my way through cheap beef in a salad. Not enjoyable at all.

And I guess other folks must agree with FeChef to only put cheap meat in salads, because it sure seems that's the norm.

Edited by Jaymes (log)
  • Like 1

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Steak soup or steak pie....

Steak pie. That's a great suggestion. Too much work (for me anyway) just for myself or my family out of leftovers. We'd either have the salad, or steak sandwiches, or fajita-tacos. But the OP mentioned she's got dinner guests. A steak (and kidney?) pie would be fancy enough for guests to know that you went to some trouble to please them. As opposed to just heating up some leftovers.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I guess im in the minority here, but im not a huge salad fan. Chicken cesar salad and ham in a chef's salad is about as far as i go with meat in a salad. One problem i have with using a good cut like ribeye is, cold steak isnt something i enjoy eating, Secondly, warm foods will make the lettuce wilt, which totally ruins a salad for me. Anywhay to each his/her own, sorry to stir the pot.

It's not pot-stirring, FeChef. It's just a difference of opinion. I let the leftover steak sit out (wrapped) at room temp for about 30 minutes before slicing and tossing in a salad. That way it is cool, but not cold and the change in temp from cold to cool enhances the charred flavor of the meat. Fresh tomatoes and a sturdy green or combination of greens (even better!) make a refreshing salad on a hot summer night.

Beware, if you should ever order a steak salad in Pittsburgh, PA it will be served with a handful of French fries on top. Don't ask me why, it's just the way they do it there.

Edited by annabelle (log)

I guess im in the minority here, but im not a huge salad fan. Chicken cesar salad and ham in a chef's salad is about as far as i go with meat in a salad. One problem i have with using a good cut like ribeye is, cold steak isnt something i enjoy eating, Secondly, warm foods will make the lettuce wilt, which totally ruins a salad for me. Anywhay to each his/her own, sorry to stir the pot.

Hey, "stirring the pot" is what it's all about here. Many different thoughts, opinions, suggestions. No apologies needed.

As Annabelle points out, there are several assorted options to making a steak salad. I happen to like cold sliced beef, if it's good and tender beef. There are a great many cold beef dishes that are popular classics around the world - Beef Carpaccio comes immediately to mind. It's basically a cold-beef salad. Also, you can toss warm beef onto a traditional green salad base, and if you eat it promptly, many of the veggies still stay crunchy. Not to mention that there are a great many salads that don't contain any lettuce to start with. For example, Asian-influenced salads, and the cold German marinated meat salads - a particular favorite of mine.

But if none of those options appeal to you, there's nothing whatsoever wrong with expressing that. In fact, that's just exactly what you should do, although yep, you'll get opposing opinions expressed right back. That's just part of what makes eG so fun and informative. So thanks for your input.

Keep it up!

:smile:

Hey, "stirring the pot" is what it's all about here. Many different thoughts, opinions, suggestions. No apologies needed.

As Annabelle points out, there are several assorted options to making a steak salad. I happen to like cold sliced beef, if it's good and tender beef. There are a great many cold beef dishes that are popular classics around the world - Beef Carpaccio comes immediately to mind. It's basically a cold-beef salad. Also, you can toss warm beef onto a traditional green salad base, and if you eat it promptly, many of the veggies still stay crunchy. Not to mention that there are a great many salads that don't contain any lettuce to start with. For example, Asian-influenced salads, and the cold German marinated meat salads - a particular favorite of mine.

But if none of those options appeal to you, there's nothing whatsoever wrong with expressing that. In fact, that's just exactly what you should do, although yep, you'll get opposing opinions expressed right back. That's just part of what makes eG so fun and informative. So thanks for your input.

Keep it up!

:smile:

FeChef:

Here's an excellent example of an absolutely delicious cold beef salad - Thai Beef Salad - a dish that is always a big hit in our house:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Thai-Beef-Salad/

ETA - And in one of those frequent eG coincidences, was just reading the "Manitoulin" thread when up popped a mention of a Thai Beef Salad, complete with exquisite photo:

Scroll down just a bit: http://forums.egullet.org/topic/145272-making-memories-in-manitoulin-at-it-again/page-9

Edited by Jaymes (log)

Steak sandwiches. I take a bolillo bun, spread on some garlic butter, then add a slice of provolone cheese. Then I will top it with the warm slices of steak, and some grlled peppers and onions. It is so good.

Oh yeah!

Edited by merstar (log)
There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.