• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

SOSA Proganache

The Choc Doc

Does anyone know exactly what this is and/or what you could substitute for it for in a recipe?

There is a recipe it calls for that I wish to have a go at but do not want to buy it (plus hard to find a UK supplier of it!) if I can help.

My understanding is it allows you to create a "false" ganache of sorts where humidity/moisture is an issue, for example if you want inclusions that would be affected by moisture in the ingredients (i.e. cream etc from a traditional ganache) you would add this instead and it would allow you to do so. I can only assume it must be fat based but is a chocolate like liquid from what I can tell (but I may be mistaken). Cocoa powder in an oil?!?

Would be useful to know if anyone can tell me any info on it - cannot find much out.

Many thanks,

J

I know Sosa makes something called Pro-gianduja which is a base with negligible water activity which will let you add your crunchy things. I know that at least in Europe you could get a similar product made by Belcolade - but they had stopped importing it into Canada for some reason a few years ago.

Something like a meltaway - chocolate mixed with another fat such as coconut oil - or perhaps a combination of fats - might just provide the solution for you.