• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breville Blenders for 'Kale' 'Green' smoothies

rotuts

well Ive missed another boat, the Green Smoothie.

http://www.refinery29.com/2013/06/48489/green-smoothie-recipes

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=kale+smoothies&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

however, the Test Kitchen this Sat. ep. 1316 Asian Take out, pointed out my ignorance and suggested that their pick for current blender is the Brevile $ 200 model:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=18917262

there also seems to be a $ 300 model:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=15093706

does any one have either of these models? a vitamix is out of the question, but the $200 might be in the running if they take my % 20 coupn.

and BTW does anyone make these green smoothies? gag a lot drinking them? no joke. but seems like an OK way to boost green veg is they taste OK.

thank you

and I do know the green stuff is better saute'd with garlic.

Edited by rotuts (log)

I got my breville toaster oven with the coupon and a few other things said to be exempt.

asking nice in your local store makes a difference.

***** bottom line ***** is bottom line.

YMMD

Breville didn't used to be excepted from the BB&B coupon. When we got our smart oven, that's how we did it. But now, they are specifically listed as an exemption.

Sorry, Breville brand is exempt from the Bed Bath and Beyond coupon

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Rats. I really wanted to know if someone had either of the Breville blenders.

re: green smoothies Ill try a spinach one in my Ancient Osterier.

I eat drink a lot of home-made yogurt / dark berry smoothies

stopped by my local BB&B. they still take coupons for breville and as the item im interested in is on order, they would send one to my house at no charge.

so i don'[t have to go back to the store and and i can return it if it doesn't meet my expectations

as its too hot to think straight or not, I got the BV 199 blender at 20% off

not so sure about the veg smoothies

treats are good. especially when its so hot. 20 % off treats are always best.

I have a Breville 550, which I gather is less expensive than the models you mention. It's the best blender I've owned so, I don't think you will go wrong unless you really want/need the high end brands.

Edited by haresfur (log)

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

thank you for that tip on the 550. I looked it up. are you 'Down Under?' it seems that the BV site has a more than available here in the USA, including colors! I beg the red one works best!

I think my model just has a few more buttons. it has the same blade etc.

I get it monday and look forward to putting it in its paces.

(a red one would have been better but not available in this model even D.U.

cheers

ps: harestur: whats that blade you have for your icon? dont tell me its from a PacoJet!

thank you for that tip on the 550. I looked it up. are you 'Down Under?' it seems that the BV site has a more than available here in the USA, including colors! I beg the red one works best!

I think my model just has a few more buttons. it has the same blade etc.

I get it monday and look forward to putting it in its paces.

(a red one would have been better but not available in this model even D.U.

cheers

ps: harestur: whats that blade you have for your icon? dont tell me its from a PacoJet!

Yes, I'm in Oz but I bought the blender at Costco :smile: . It looks like wattage is higher here for similar models - it should be easier to get higher watts with 240 because you don't need as many amps but I don't know why they wouldn't just adjust for that.

Yeah, the red ones are fastest. I think the success of the design is manly in the curved bottom so things feed through the blades very well. Mine is used mostly for smoothies and pesto. I use it for making bread crumbs, too and even fresh bread ripped into chunks will feed through with only a little pulsing.

The icon is the top of a ceramic tea-warmer I made with 3 rabbits sharing 3 ears - the closest I have to a haresfur picture :raz:

• Like 1

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

All blenders use very soft steel for the blades. If you are a frequent smoothie maker, it may be a good idea to get an extra jar and use that exclusively for making smoothies.

The first time you use the blender to chop hard food like nuts, ice cubes, the blades would be dulled.

dcarch