• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cocktails without short shelf-life liqueurs

Tzatziki

I love mixing good cocktails, but I don't drink that often. I make maybe one or two drinks a week for myself and the same for guests. The problem is that while I love Manhattans, for example, it's entirely unrealistic that I'd make it through a bottle of Vermouth quickly enough (why Vermouth isn't sold in 375ml is beyond me...).

Of course I can always do the classic sours, etc., but I'd love to play around with some more complex cocktails as well. I'm thinking of picking up some Green Chartreuse and Maraschino Liqueur for Last Word riffs. What are some other cocktails whose liqueur ingredients have unlimited shelf-life?

(why Vermouth isn't sold in 375ml is beyond me...).

Vermouth is actually sold in 375 mL bottles, alhough not all stores stock them. I am able to find Noilly Prat and Dolin in 375 mL size and Carpano Antica just launched a 375 mL size as well. Otherwise there is always the option of storing your vermouth in the fridge and you can blanket it with inert gas to further increase shelf-life (see this product for example).

(why Vermouth isn't sold in 375ml is beyond me...).

Vermouth is actually sold in 375 mL bottles, alhough not all stores stock them. I am able to find Noilly Prat and Dolin in 375 mL size and Carpano Antica just launched a 375 mL size as well. Otherwise there is always the option of storing your vermouth in the fridge and you can blanket it with inert gas to further increase shelf-life (see this product for example).

Sometimes when I consider making a Manhattan with Carpano I just leave out the rye and bitters...

Make your Manhattans and then drink the rest of the vermouth the next day or two as a pleasant drink in its own right! Or add a splash of seltzer water to it.

Carpano is especially good all by itself and the new 375ml makes it a bit more practical. I have also kept Carpano and other vermouth in reasonably good shape for several weeks in the fridge using a vacu-vin.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

Of course I can always do the classic sours, etc., but I'd love to play around with some more complex cocktails as well. I'm thinking of picking up some Green Chartreuse and Maraschino Liqueur for Last Word riffs. What are some other cocktails whose liqueur ingredients have unlimited shelf-life?

With maraschino I would also try things like a Hemingway Daiquiri (a classic sour but with enough complexity) or other daiquiri variations. The East India with cognac and maraschino is very good. Aviation if you have violet liqueur. Ice Pick if you have genever. Improved cocktail.

1. Buy 750ml bottle of Rittenhouse Bonded.

2. Buy 375ml bottle of your favourite sweet vermouth.

3. Pour into separate container 375ml of rye.

4. Transfer vermouth from original bottle into Rittenhouse bottle and label. Your vermouth is now safe.

5. Pour excess 375ml rye into empty vermouth bottle and label.

6. You can now enjoy amazing Manhattans forever using the same logic as before: 1.5oz from the big bottle + .75oz from the small + bitters.

• Like 1

The Dead Parrot; Built from the ground up by bartenders, for everyone:

Monkey Shoulder Ultimate Bartender Champions, 2015

Twitter

Instagram

Untappd

I love mixing good cocktails, but I don't drink that often. I make maybe one or two drinks a week for myself and the same for guests. The problem is that while I love Manhattans, for example, it's entirely unrealistic that I'd make it through a bottle of Vermouth quickly enough (why Vermouth isn't sold in 375ml is beyond me...).

Maraschino and Chartreuse are two great options. The big one you're missing though is Cointreau or another similarly strong orange liqueur - also unlimited shelf life and arguably used in more drinks that any other liqueur - Sidecar, Margarita, Pegu Club, Mai Tai, etc.

After that I'd say Bénédictine, though it isn't as prevalent. FrogPrincesse kicked off a thread about its use in cocktails, which is quite handy: http://forums.egullet.org/topic/144979-cocktails-with-benedictine/

Edited by Hassouni (log)