• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lighter Weight All-Clad

Shel_B

Looking at some All-Clad pots and skillets recently, it seemed that they are lighter and thinner than the ones I bought more than a decade ago. Has anyone else noticed this? Do different suppliers, like Amazon or Williams-Sonoma, carry different versions of the All-Clad line, so that the "same" pot or pan may be made to different specs?

... Shel

They were heavier years ago. And most likely better.

I'm still smashing my original MC stuff around - it's gotta be the better part of 20 years old. They don't make 'em like that anymore.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I'm still smashing my original MC stuff around - it's gotta be the better part of 20 years old. They don't make 'em like that anymore.

My first All-Clad - two saucepans and a sauté pan - was purchased around 1980 ... still excellent and cookin' like new.

... Shel

Agreed. The older stuff seems better.

I am waiting for some AllClad maven to say that nothing has changed. Until then, I will believe that it has.

Interesting note: a couple of years ago I sent in 2 of my old MC non-stick All-Clad pans to All-Clad to see if/how they'd honor the lifetime guarantee that those pans had (I think they were an 8" and a 10"). They'd been beaten up, were flaking a bit, etc. etc.

All-Clad, much to its credit, sent me two new pans. Of course, they were the new version of MC, I think called MC2 at the time, and they were nowhere near as beefy as the original ones were. Decent nonsticks, but now - if and when I've bought non-stick pans, I wouldn't spend that kind of money for an All-Clad. I'd spend a lot less and get a just-as-good non-stick from one of many other brands.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Of course, they were the new version of MC, I think called MC2 at the time, and they were nowhere near as beefy as the original ones were. Decent nonsticks, but now - if and when I've bought non-stick pans, I wouldn't spend that kind of money for an All-Clad. I'd spend a lot less and get a just-as-good non-stick from one of many other brands.

I've been considering an All-Clad nonstick skillet, but the reviews I read about the model I want (14-inch) have not been favorable, with complaints about the surface chipping or peeling. I may just go with a substantially less expensive Calphalon model.

One thing I noticed about the stainless interior on some recent All-Clad pots is that the stainless steel was not as smooth as my earlier pots. There were what appeared to be machining marks across the surface. This was on several items I looked at in Bed Bath Beyond.

... Shel

Williams Sonoma often has the nonstick AllClad pans at substantial discounts as their "loss leader" pieces. I got mine there about 4 years ago and they are still going strong. No peeling or other problems with the nonstick surface.

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Of course, they were the new version of MC, I think called MC2 at the time, and they were nowhere near as beefy as the original ones were. Decent nonsticks, but now - if and when I've bought non-stick pans, I wouldn't spend that kind of money for an All-Clad. I'd spend a lot less and get a just-as-good non-stick from one of many other brands.

I've been considering an All-Clad nonstick skillet, but the reviews I read about the model I want (14-inch) have not been favorable, with complaints about the surface chipping or peeling. I may just go with a substantially less expensive Calphalon model.

One thing I noticed about the stainless interior on some recent All-Clad pots is that the stainless steel was not as smooth as my earlier pots. There were what appeared to be machining marks across the surface. This was on several items I looked at in Bed Bath Beyond.

I have had the calphalon non stick 10 and 12" pans for years... which are fine. I give them light use though.

FWIW a recent SS Calphalon had to be sent back to amazon because the thing was convex on the bottom. Not a little, a lot. I bought an Allclad instead.

Plenty of topics and plenty of reviews in re: nonstick pans. slkinsey and others have posted extensively on the subject.

And Im of the shared opinion that there is no need to spend a ton for a non-stick. Restaurant grade (Volrath or Lincoln Wearever, T-Fal, etc. - they're all fine. I bought some T-Fal a few years ago and I think I paid around $75 for a 12", 10" and 8" frying pans. For all three. At the time they were highly rated by CI. This was a T-Fal model with silicon handles that can go into a hot oven up to 450F. I don't think they're made any more, but I like these pans a lot - they're still practically as good as they were the day I got them.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

• 2 weeks later...

The new stuff is certainly thinner than it used to be. new MC2 is a good bit thinner than MC2 from even 5 years ago. The older MC is certainly much thicker than any MC2 I've seen. The new stainless-clad All-Clad varies depending on style and size, so it's hard to say how much it has changed. The new MC2 and the stainless series all works just fine, but so does my Sur La Table tri-ply, which is much less expensive. I do love the All-Clad handles, though, and I really like the polished interiors. I own two pieces of vintage All-Clad Master Chef, two pieces of MC2, several pieces of stainless clad, along with vintage Mauviel, Matfer and Jaquotot copper, modern stainless interior Mauviel copper, modern Baumalu 2mm copper, Viking 5 or 7 layer, whatever it is, Sur La Table triply, Paderno and deBuyer carbon, Vollrath aluminum, and all kinds of cast iron. It all has it's uses, and I like even the thinner All-Clad just fine, and use it regularly. I think my tri-vent handle Vollrath aluminum is probably my favorite, though, and it's cheap!

Edited by EdipisReks (log)

Nice first post, and welcome to eG Forums, EdipisReks.

Every pan in my kitchen has seen it's share of use, and each has its own purpose as well. But there is no doubt in my mind that some of the older, vintage stuff was made "better."

Tasty Travails - My Blog

for non-stick I use the Calphalon from BB&B:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=14506683

mine are a lot older then the current series, work fine if you take care of them: dont use on very very high hear and let cool before you wash up

take your 20 % coupon and this cant be beet.

I purchased a set of those four or five years ago, and have been very happy with them, so much so that I am going to buy another set as I gave the 12-inch skillet to a friend and I'd like Toots to have a better quality skillet.

The pan that I kept has behaved very well and is still in good shape, even after abusive handling by an inept housekeeper/cook.

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

mine are a lot older then the current series, work fine if you take care of them: dont use on very very high hear and let cool before you wash up

Do you know why they recommend hand-washing them?

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Dishwasher detergents can wreak havoc on the anodized aluminum. If you don't care about the appearance of the exterior (or, probably, the warranty), the dishwasher is fine.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

I would not put any non-stick in the dishwasher: most detergents for the DW have abrasive in them

I also read that its important to let non-sticks cool before washing, as the coating lasts longer.

I've got a set of Calphalon non-stick (the predecessor to the set rotuts linked to above) that's seven or eight years old. They've gotten at least weekly use, and they've never been washed outside of a dishwasher. They're still in fine shape, except for a bit of chalkiness on the exterior (which concerns me not in the least).

You let non-stick cookware cool before washing because it's usually made of un-clad aluminum, and thus prone to warping from rapid temperature changes. PTFE (aka Teflon) as employed these days is extremely durable. If you learned how to treat it back in the 60s and 70s, your training is out of date.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Dishwasher detergents can wreak havoc on the anodized aluminum. If you don't care about the appearance of the exterior (or, probably, the warranty), the dishwasher is fine.

Thanks, Dave. I have a very utilitarian view of my kitchen equipment. Nice looking is fine but it's cooking with it that counts for me. And whatever it is it WILL be going into my dishwasher. That even goes for my favorite 30 year-old 10" chef's knife. I do place my knives so that they can't bang against anything that harm the edge but that's it.

Some time back someone posted about working in retail and trying to help a person pick out cookware. Eventually they figured out the customer didn't really cook and was just looking for something "pretty" to put on display in their kitchen. I remember laughing and then reading it to my DW because is was just so opposite of us.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I would venture a guess that your older Al Clad was made in the USA whereas the new All Clad is made off shore.

All Clad has become more of a marketing company over the years and they claim 'Proprietary' information when you ask them for technical details.

I don't own any but they are substantially lighter than my Falk.-Dick

I would venture a guess that your older Al Clad was made in the USA whereas the new All Clad is made off shore.

All Clad has become more of a marketing company over the years and they claim 'Proprietary' information when you ask them for technical details.

I don't own any but they are substantially lighter than my Falk.-Dick

All-Clad branded pots and pans are made in the US; lids and other stamped pieces like steamer inserts and tools are sometimes outsourced.

As for it weighing less than Falk, it also weighs less than Mauviel and some Demeyere. That would be because copper is denser than either steel or aluminum.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

the best long long term advice is to move to Induction. a little bit at a time.

I have 24 various pans from here:

http://eshop.e-dehillerin.fr/en/copper-cuprinox-extra-thick-xsl-243_270.html

I got them in the mid-80's and they are stunning. very affordable then. heavy. a work-out in the Kitchen. Loved them and still do.

but not for now.

think induction.

Edited by rotuts (log)

… you can get better pots and pans for the same money, or stuff that's just as good for less.

That's a pretty general statement. Can you be specific about brands and models? I've used a lot of pots and pans, and my All-Clad stuff in arguably better than anything else I've used. Evenly-distributed heating, with handles that are strong and stay cool. Using Barkeeper's Friend, they are easy to clean and all my pans look new. These are my criteria for a good pan. I don't use non-stick stuff because I actually find them harder to keep clean. I use the stainless range and love them crazy.

That being said, Modernist Cuisine found that the quality of cookware was not a huge factor in effectiveness. Sizing the burner to the pan size is more important. Buy cheap flat-bottom pans and use a very thick piece of solid aluminum between burner and pan and you will get even heating.