• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Capelin

liuzhou

The local supermarket had something I hadn't seen before, so like an idiot I bought some. Investigation and translation revealed that these little fish are capelin.

Capelin.jpg

Mr. Google informs me that they are as common as very common things in Eastern Canada and Iceland, but I'm in China. Perhaps they got lost. What Mr. Google is severely short of is cooking suggestions.

I planned to just dredge them in seasoned flour, deep fry and use as beer food, but when I gutted them, I found they are all female and stuffed with roe. Any suggestions for dealing with the fish - and especially for dealing with the roe?

Capelin Roe.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

strangely , last weekend my father-in-law was talking about wanted a feed of caplin.(which is the newfoundland spelling) I have only had it smoked and it was very good but from what I understand it can be cook just the same as smelt from fresh

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

Keep the roe in the fish and fry them whole till crispy. Theyre good just eaten whole like that. I think we call them 多春魚 because they always have so much roe in them. Not had any in years though, I'm jealous of yours!

Edited by Prawncrackers (log)

can be cook just the same as smelt from fresh

I grew up in Ontario and my Grandpa used to take me smelt fishing and we would fry them. I've never heard anyone else reference them and assumed it was just his name for whatever the fish was.

Thanks for triggering the memory!

Capelin must be in season; my usual dim sum place has had them as a special the last couple of weeks. They give them a light coating of what I'd guess is cornstarch and deep fry them whole, bones, eggs and all, and plate with a sprinkle of minced quick-fried garlic and chili pepper. Very yummy.

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

can be cook just the same as smelt from fresh

I grew up in Ontario and my Grandpa used to take me smelt fishing and we would fry them. I've never heard anyone else reference them and assumed it was just his name for whatever the fish was.

Thanks for triggering the memory!

Deja vu all over again here too - smelts ran in the slip on our property - my folks would drag me out of bed for the smelting, all the neighbours and friends would join in. The yellow roe put me off applesauce for years!

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, Capelin is a type of Smelt, but from Canaa, Newfoundland, etc. - prepare it the same way as smelt - fry it whole (bones, heads, evrything) after salting & a light dusting of flour mixed with a little cornstarch - OR better yet, a tempura batter made with sparkling water.

The season here (Chicago) is technically April. At least that's when individuals can seine for them. But my fishmonger carries them through May, at least. We eat lots of them when they're available. Oh, YUM!

• 6 months later...