• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Viking stove question

Hassouni

So in a couple weeks I'll be moving into a condo that has a Viking range. I guess it's a 30" model, 4 sealed burners with a small grate in the center. Did the home inspection, and even on high heat, each burner doesn't seem to produce much of a flame. I'm used to gas stoves where high means a veritable torch of blue flame - on this Viking, it's pretty sedate and the flame does not appreciably rise above the burner cap.

Is that normal for Vikings? I put my hand a foot or so over the burner and it was bloody hot, so I'm not sure whether something is wrong or not.

Edited by Hassouni (log)

Call your gas company -- *almost* all of them offer free inspection of residential gas appliances, and will adjust the air/fuel mixture (or provide other easy fixes) free of charge.

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Last Viking range I had had a combination of 15,000 and 20,000 BTU burners - significantly higher than the usual home range. Aside from others' comments, verify that the regular is right (whether by setting or replacement) with the type of gas you're using -- LP or natural gas.

• 3 weeks later...