• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Authentic Paella recipe for 100 Persons – Paella Pans Included

Hello,

i wanted to ask if someone has a authentic paella recipe he would share?

I am planning a cooking event for approx 100 People and wanted to make two different yet authentic paellas ( preferably with rabbit and one with seafood + a small vegetarian version maybe? )

could anyone give me some advise concerning the preparation etc.?

thanks so much in advance!

Having spent a little time in Spain, I can tell you that the Spaniards believe that using the proper rice is essential to an "authentic paella."

I don't know where you are or what access you have to assorted foodstuffs or just how "authentic" you wish your "authentic paella" to be or how much trouble you want to go to, but here's a little more info about what rice to use:

http://www.tienda.com/reference/paellarice.html

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

thanks for the infos!

concerning the rice, i am located in europe and quite positive i will find the right "authentic" paella rice without to much trouble!

@weinoo,

this size = me wants!

For a 100 people you will need a good (huge) size paella (pan).

You can go to any sheet metal fabricator and have them bend a sheet of thick gauge aluminum into a shallow rectangular pan of sufficient size.

dcarch

Ive also lived in (E)Spain. it is indeed about the rice. its also traditionally cooked outside over a wood fire.

rice:

http://spanishfood.about.com/od/PaellaandRice/a/The-Best-Rice-For-Paella.htm

lots of debate of what goes into the P but lots of regions not including Valencia add what they have locally thats fresh.

much debate about shell-fish. much.

Feeding paella to such a big crowd is problematic because the essence of the dish (irrespective of local issues of whether it should have rabbit or seafood) is to have a really thin layer of rice, to get it adequately dry and get the "socarrat" crust. Meaning that for 100 you would need a really huge pan (or, many pans). You'll likely have to compromise and cook a considerably wider layer or rice, which turns it more into an "arroz de" rather than a paella.

thanks for all the imput:

concerning the rice and the pans: there wont be a problem sourcing real bomba rice over here, i have already found numerous sources who sell a large variety so there is no need for a substitute!

for the 100 people, i am planning in buying 3 pans with a diameter of 1meter, i hope this will be enough?!

thanks for all the info,

about the video,

good to see it once but as already said, it does not look like a genuine paella. i really want the rabbit thing!

concerning pan size: since there will be some vegetarians, i even think about splitting it into 3 pans, so this wont be a problem. i just have to check out how much stuff i will need if this is part of a three course meal...