• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shots – making them worthy

Markm

For some reason, I thought a shot was basically that - a shot of whatever booze is being drunk.

I'm sure you could infuse something, however; a la Eben Freeman's "Pumpernickel Scotch," which comes as part of his Boiler Maker:

Pumpernickle Scotch is made by cutting the crusts off pumpernickel raisin bread and placing the crusts in the whiskey. Caraway seeds are dry roasted and added to the blended scotch as well. The infusion takes two days and then the solids are strained away from the liquid and the result is bottled.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

For some reason, I thought a shot was basically that - a shot of whatever booze is being drunk.

I'm sure you could infuse something, however; a la Eben Freeman's "Pumpernickel Scotch," which comes as part of his Boiler Maker:

Pumpernickle Scotch is made by cutting the crusts off pumpernickel raisin bread and placing the crusts in the whiskey. Caraway seeds are dry roasted and added to the blended scotch as well. The infusion takes two days and then the solids are strained away from the liquid and the result is bottled.

I think this may be about the mixed shots of yore? Like the infamous Kamakazi, Slippery Nipple and the like.

I have one I make just for fun occasionally for parties that I call a chocolate chip cookie. Vanilla vodka, Frangelica, Godiva chocolate liqueur and simple syrup I think but I would have to check my recipe book for details. Have also substituted tequila and agave syrup on occasion for a bit of variety!

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

I've layered a half ounce each of Green Chartreause, Wray and Absinthe on top of each other.

Green,white, green.

That shit's like turbo-Chartreuse.

That is soo wrong. you should call it 'VanGogh's ear' as a warning!

Sounds yummy :)

Another idea is to make "Shot-tails", a deconstructed cocktail in the form of two or more shots done in succession. I've done one I call an Irish Exit. A shot of Jameson with a couple of dashes of Angostura followed by a shot with Apricot brandy, lime juice and ginger beer. I have the proportions somewhere.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I object to the concept of downing 1.5 oz of liquor at a time. Just as revolting as "Man versus Food".

My thoughts exactly.

You're both just hanging out with the wrong crowds. Though, admittedly, in the crowds I hang out with, they buy me shots of Jameson's, and I buy them shots of Fernet Branca.

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

the chocolate cake shot is an interesting one, especially since there is no chocolate in it.

half oz lemon or citrus vodka.. absolute citron works better but I have also used smirnof lime or even just plain vodka

half oz frangelico or other hazelnut liqueur

1 wedge of lemon rolled in sugar.

you shoot the shot then when you suck on the lemon wedge it changes the flavour in your mouth to taste like chocolate cake.

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

You could always try a bone luge.

You came across this how? :biggrin:

This has been a big thing here the past few years. You know, I just watch from afar...

Has it not arrived in Europe yet? :wink:

It makes sense though from a purely scientific perspective. Alcohol is a very good way to extract aromatic components, similar to deglazing a pan...

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)

You could always try a bone luge.

You came across this how? :biggrin:

This has been a big thing here the past few years. You know, I just watch from afar...

Has it not arrived in Europe yet? :wink:

I am perhaps less au courant than I would wish to seem :unsure: Although it's true, I stay away from bone-stuff when I can...

It makes sense though from a purely scientific perspective. Alcohol is a very good way to extract aromatic components, similar to deglazing a pan...

You're right, and there's an efficiency aspect too; this way you deglaze bone, face and quite likely lungs too, all at the same time.

ETA No, the internet indicates that this is not yet a popular way to imbibe over here. My pride is safe for now :smile:

Edited by Plantes Vertes (log)