• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Morteau Sausage substitution

chef koo

I've been able to find Morteau in the US if that is where you are located. There is a company (Fabrique Delices) that makes it here in California using a tradional French recipe.

Regarding a substitute, you will need a smoked (raw) pork sausage with a fairly strong pork taste.

No, not like a salami. It resembles more a fresh pork sausage that is heavily smoked. Note that it needs to be cooked before it is eaten, usually with lentils.

There is a similar discussion here:

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/3541-morteau-sausage/

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)

Interesting reads. I called a local sausage maker and he said that the next time he's making it will be in October since it's a sausage typically eaten during special occasions. His recommendation was a smoked Mennonite sausage. In his opinion, it was the closest, so I'll be going with that.

bork bork bork