• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Does chopped onion attracts to the outside environment immediately.

alankar

I take it you want to know how long it takes before a sliced onion starts to deterioate. Are you vac sealing it? Storing it under cling film? Parking it in the fridge? Leaving it out, sans cling film, in a warm room?

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Cut onion that sits around always gets a very strong sulfur taste which I assume is from the chemical reaction that occurs from cutting. Refrigerating the cut onion seems to slow down the development of the sulfur taste -- but that's from my experience, not science!

If you only need to use half an onion, use the top half. Cut it at the equator and put the bottom half, with the root stub intact, in a plastic bag or wrap tightly. The onion will still be alive and will last much longer than diced onion, or any part cut away from the root.

• Like 2

If you only need to use half an onion, use the top half. Cut it at the equator and put the bottom half, with the root stub intact, in a plastic bag or wrap tightly. The onion will still be alive and will last much longer than diced onion, or any part cut away from the root.

Great! I didn't know that! So, you mean that so long as the root stays in tact, we're golden for much longer than w/o it?

Great! I didn't know that! So, you mean that so long as the root stays in tact, we're golden for much longer than w/o it?

Yes, as long as there looks like some little bits of root, you're fine. I routinely keep partial onions for weeks+, and, even if there's just a little left it still works because it's still alive. Avoid buying onions that don't have any root, they will not last. That said, if you leave a partial onion with the stump on it in the fridge too long, the center will start to grow. -There's nothing wrong with that, it's just uneven to cut.