• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking Garlic - Sauté and Fried

Shel_B

I have seen many suggestions on how to sauté and fry garlic. Some say long and slow over low to moderate heat, others over medium or high heat, and quickly stir the garlic around, others suggest adding it last, or after other ingredients when sautéing vegetable and meats, and still others suggest adding the garlic early.

Generally, I add the garlic to the oil in a cold pan, sometimes adding a bit of water to help keep the temp down, and sauté long and slow, but that's mostly when adding garlic and few other ingredients.

So, what's the best way to coax the most flavor from a clove or two of garlic under various situations? When's long and slow cooking ideal, when faster at higher temps, and when should the garlic be added early and when late?

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

Yes, it depends on your aim. When I need garlic's flavor I smash garlic and remove it's core. And that goes to hot oil. This will release garlic juice and enrich oil with garlic flavor. In minute or two and throw it out. Oil will keep the flavor for 15...20 minutes while cooking. This mostly works for vegatables, pasta and anything esle that is cooked fast.

And when I need strong flavor and light taste of garlic I add it (with core removed) in last five minutes deep inside the pan. And also remove garlic after but it's the matter of habbit.

Be sweety - visit my blog BestCupCakeSecrets.com :blush::wub:

I tend to cook my greens--kale's /spinach/ collards with more the fried garlic in which I will start it at a fairly higher temp add it then putt the greens in rather quickly.

My red sauces I tend to soften the garlic.

Couple quick things that come to mind..

PB

Its good to have Morels