• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

QbanCrackr

Key lime pie not setting completely

7 posts in this topic

I've been having trouble with whole key lime pies lately.

i can make a couple hundred pounds of the baked custard with no problem for desserts in cups/verrines, but when i bake a whole pie and slice it, it just doesn't set up.

i baked 2 pies a couple of days ago, sliced them, and put them in clamshells and they all caved in at the most narrow part (what would be the center of the pie.

the recipe i use i think is a standard one:

1 cup key lime juice (i use nellie & joes)

8 egg yolks (i use 4.8oz of pasteurized yolks)

2 cans condensed milk

i pour the filling into a prebaked graham crust, and bake for 17-20 minutes. i think that i got this recipe from the joy of cooking and adapted it to use liquid egg yolks.

i'm not sure what the cause of this is. i think maybe it could be the egg yolks?

i use pasteurized egg yolks for my creme brulee, and it sets up perfectly. in the past, i used fresh egg yolks and was able to slice the pie and it didn't cave in.

has anyone had something like this happen to them? i'm going to try later today using fresh yolks and seeing what happened....maybe its an issue with the heat of the pasteurization

20130709_111507.jpg

Danny

I made a key lime pie the other day and will be making another today. I used the recipe on the Nellie & Joe's bottle. I have for years because it's perfect. The proportions are 1/2 c juice, 3 egg yolks, and 1 can of condensed milk per pie. To take this pie to the next level, make your own graham cracker crust adding some nuts to the mix. The salty crunch is great with the sweet filling. I also baked it for closer to 22 minutes.

Magi

edited to add baking time

Edited by KaffeeKlatsch (log)

I made a key lime pie the other day and will be making another today. I used the recipe on the Nellie & Joe's bottle. I have for years because it's perfect. The proportions are 1/2 c juice, 3 egg yolks, and 1 can of condensed milk per pie. To take this pie to the next level, make your own graham cracker crust adding some nuts to the mix. The salty crunch is great with the sweet filling. I also baked it for closer to 22 minutes.

Magi

edited to add baking time

Us, too. For years. Years and years. Decades actually.

And that recipe also works for us. However, having lived in South Florida, we very much prefer the pie to be considerably more tart, which is how we remember it being served down on the Keys. So we increase the amount of lime juice. We do that by taste. Stand there tasting and adding and stirring and tasting and adding and stirring.

Until it's perfect.

Regarding the "setting up." Maybe I'm doing something wrong also but I don't think it's ever going to "set up" hard. It is a rather loose and creamy pie.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I remembered the cooking time wrong. I made another last night and baked it for about 15 minutes.

I remembered the cooking time wrong. I made another last night and baked it for about 15 minutes.

Right. And they just added those few minutes to the Nellie & Joe's label not so long ago, because of the "raw egg" concern. If I recall correctly, and I'm pretty sure I do, originally that recipe called for no cooking time at all.

I do about 11-15 minutes, too.

To top it, sometimes I make a meringue, but we really love heavy cream whipped with some brown sugar and a little bit of dark rum.

1 person likes this

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

You might have just had too much mix in the pie shell. The recipe on the bottle (which we've used for at least 10 years) has the amounts KaffeeKlatch listed as for one 9" shell.

When using pasteurized carton yolks, I err on the side of a little bit more (e.g., one yolk weighs .67 ounce so I use .75 for ease of measuring).

Right. And they just added those few minutes to the Nellie & Joe's label not so long ago, because of the "raw egg" concern. If I recall correctly, and I'm pretty sure I do, originally that recipe called for no cooking time at all.

I do about 11-15 minutes, too.

To top it, sometimes I make a meringue, but we really love heavy cream whipped with some brown sugar and a little bit of dark rum.

Just out of curiosity (and to double-check my aging memory), did a quick search. I thought that I recalled that the first several decades of my Key Lime Pie making involved no cooking/baking time whatsoever. And it was only when the "raw eggs" panic came along and put a stop to so many things - the original Orange Julius recipes, Caesar Salads, etc. - that we had to stick the pie into the oven for a bit.

And in this case, anyway, my memory fails me not:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keylime_pie

Interesting history.

• Similar Content

• By Kasia
      Afternoon tea with finger biscuits.

With my children in mind I prepared an extremely simple dessert using natural yoghurt and biscuits as basic ingredients. It was supposed to be for children. By default, though, I prepared a bit more and we were all able to relish it.

Ingredients (for 4 people)
      400g of natural yoghurt
      200g of finger biscuit
      200g of raspberries
      2 teaspoons of caster sugar

Put aside a few nice raspberries and four finger biscuits. Crush the rest of the raspberries with a fork and mix them with the caster sugar. Crush the finger biscuits and blend them with the natural yoghurt. Put the raspberry mousse and then the biscuit mixture into a cup. Decorate the top of the dessert with the raspberries and peppermint leaves.

• By Kasia
      Small stracciatella cheesecake with fruit.

Today I would like to share with you the recipe for a dessert which I prepared for the beginning of the holiday. The last school tests are behind us, the school reports received, the suitcases almost packed, so now it is time for a reward. My little stracciatella cheesecake isn't that healthy, but sometimes we can overlook one small culinary peccadillo. After all, it is supposed to be a reward. For sure it was light as air, fluffy and melted in the mouth. And the pieces of the dark chocolate were so nice and crunchy. Try it yourself and like me you will fall in love with this dessert.

Ingredients (17cm cake tin)
      100g of oatcakes
      50g of butter
      250g of mascarpone cheese
      200g of 30% sweet cream
      100g of white chocolate
      100g of dark chocolate
      fruit for decoration

Put the cookies in a plastic bag and crush them with a rolling pin, and then put them into a small bowl and mix them with the melted butter. Cover a cake tin with the dough. Leave it in the fridge for an hour. Melt the white chocolate in a bain-marie and leave to cool down. Break the dark chocolate into small pieces. Whisk the cream and then add the mascarpone cheese. Add the white and dark chocolate and stir it gingerly and thoroughly. Put the mixture on the bottom with the oatcakes and leave in the fridge overnight. Decorate with your favourite fruit.

Enjoy your meal!

• By Kasia
      Cheesecake muffins

Ingredients (6 muffins)
      1 lemon jelly
      10 big strawberries
      200g of vanilla fromage frais
      grated skin from half a lemon

Dissolve the jelly in 250ml of hot water. Leave to cool down (not to set). Wash the strawberries, remove the shanks and blend them. Mix half of the jelly with the strawberries. Put it into the silicon pastry cases. Leave it to set in the fridge. Mix the rest of the jelly with the vanilla fromage frais. Put it on the strawberry jelly. Leave it to set in the fridge. Immerse the silicon pastry case in hot water for a while to get the dessert out of the dish.

Enjoy your meal!

• By MelissaH
      I was catching up on my blog reading, and hit a post about icebox cakes. I've only ever made one icebox cake in my life, and it was delicious, using the classic chocolate wafers and whipped cream but flavored with Red Bird peppermint puffs. (I got the recipe from an article about the company that makes the candy.) Anyway, while the blog post itself was interesting, the first comment (at least as I currently see it) caught my attention, because it described a Mexican icebox cake that looked very different to me because it didn't use whipped cream. The commenter called this icebox cake a carlota de limón, and described it as being made from maria cookies, lime juice, and sweetened condensed milk. I adore limes!

So...I can find recipes on line, but has anyone made this cake before? Do you have a tried-and-true recipe that you'd be willing to share? Please?

Thanks!
    • By Kasia
      As usual during the weekend I prepared a cake. This time it was a strawberry shortbread cake with blancmange and crumble topping. Everything fit together nicely. I think that this cake could be excellent with more sour fruit. Cherries, redcurrants or plums come to mind. I have to realize this idea.

The idea for this cake comes from www.moniamieszaigotuje.blogspot.com.

Ingredients:
      dough
      0.5 kg of flour
      1 teaspoon of baking powder
      200g of sugar
      200g of butter
      1 egg
      1 egg yolk
      3 tablespoons of cream
      blancmange
      2 packets of powdered blancmange
      0.75 ml of milk
      3 tablespoons of sugar
      additional ingredients
      strawberries

Heat the oven up to 180 degrees C.
      Put the flour on a baking board, make a large dimple in the flour and put the other ingredients of the dough inside it. Chop it all up with a knife. When you have the consistency of crumble topping, you have to knead the dough quickly. Divide the dough into two parts – 2/3 and 1/3. Cover the pieces of the dough with plastic wrap and put them into the freezer. Prepare the thick blancmange. Stir the blancmange powder in 250ml of milk and the sugar. Cook the rest of the milk. Take the milk off the heat and pour the blancmange mixture into it. Boil for a while, stirring constantly. Turn off the heat. Clean the strawberries and remove the shanks. Cut the bigger strawberries in half. Grate the bigger part of the dough onto a baking sheet. Put the hot blancmange onto it. Arrange the strawberries on the blancmange and grate the rest of the dough onto the top. Bake for 50 minutes.

Enjoy your meal!