• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sink corners

MelissaH

The time has come to replace our laminate countertops with solid surface, which means it's time to replace our sink with an undermount version as well. My husband just asked me whether I wanted a sink with rounded corners, or one with square corners. I don't have a clue. Which do I want? Pros/cons of each? My knee-jerk response is that the rounder the corners, the easier it will be to keep clean, but I have no data points for comparison.

What do we need to consider in my choice of corners on our new sink?

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

I find it a lot easier to clean gunk out of a rounded corner than a square one. I also find them more aesthetically pleasing. Here is a picture of the kitchen I re-did last year - the sink cut-out in the granite is gently rounded.

005 (8).JPG

• Like 1

My preference is for a sink that is integral with the counter top-- no seam between them to catch dirt, etc. We have Corian, but I believe there are several other materials available.

My other preference is for rounded corners-- as you suggest, easier to keep clean.

Dick

Dick in Northbrook, IL

the sink cut-out in the granite is gently rounded.

Yes, we're just finishing a kitchen remodel, undermount and granite as you describe. It is very nice to have no obstructions, sweeping into the sink.

Our stainless steel sink is deeper than before. Took us a bit by surprise but we like it.

Per la strada incontro un passero che disse "Fratello cane, perche sei cosi triste?"

Ripose il cane: "Ho fame e non ho nulla da mangiare."

MelissaH it all depends on your preference only! I'd probably take squere sink with rounded lower corners next time for I have now round sink and I want to try something new. My friend says - you have to see it to know you like it)) maybe this will help you.

heidih one more thing that made me worry. Natural granite may contain radioactive elements. People mostly pay no attention to this fact but I think it's important to be aware of things like this. You can see here more http://www.epa.gov/radiation/tenorm/granite-countertops.html

Be sweety - visit my blog BestCupCakeSecrets.com :blush::wub:

I'm talking zero-radius vs. larger radius corners, in a stainless steel sink. We're being careful with our sink depth, because we really don't want to have to redo all the plumbing back into the wall!

Are we talking upper (counter-level) corners, or lower (sink-bottom) corners?

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Squared sinks look better, but rounded is easier to clean.

I have this sink, I think its made by Moen, that is the best of both worlds, it LOOKS squared, but is not, and has a slight round edge to it which is easy to get to for cleaning.

We're being careful with our sink depth, because we really don't want to have to redo all the plumbing back into the wall!

Just checking, have you confirmed what will be hard and what will be easy, before picking your sink? You don't want to unduly constrain yourself.

Firs of all, there will be some plumbing work, to put in a new sink. And under-sink plumbing is modular. It goes from "a bit harder than changing a light bulb" to "needs a professional" as one reaches the wall, but this transition is generally out of the way of a deeper sink. (It was for us.)

Per la strada incontro un passero che disse "Fratello cane, perche sei cosi triste?"

Ripose il cane: "Ho fame e non ho nulla da mangiare."

• 3 weeks later...