• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Going to North Cumbria near Maryport

Hi everyone

Unfortunately I did not do sufficient research when I booked a house for a week near Maryport and realised most of the dining destinations are over an hour away further south. Does anyone have any advice for places around me? I am traveling with my parents and 2 small children (3 and 6 yrs) so am wary of such distances. Should I drive north? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Looking for good food places/pubs or farmers market as I am sure we will be cooking at home too. Thanks in advance!

• 1 month later...

Oh dear SuY , i take it you`ve already been there by now ? Not a good choice at all. Nearest City Carlisle and then you`re not going to get anything decent, Lakes are 30 minutes from Maryport , nearest decent restaurant is Cottage in the Wood , Keswick.

CumbriafoodieCumbriafoodie