• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking for one more element to make a new dish "pop"

Tim Chambers

Hello,

I am currently working on a dish to run as a special at the upscale modern Mexican restaurant that I work at. The dish, as of right now, is this:

Green bean salad with sherry crema, shaved zucchini, and heirloom tomato vinaigrette. The zucchini is sliced super thin and layered out on the plate. I drizzle with vinaigrette and place the green beans (dressed in sherry cema) in the middle, on top of the zucchini. There are also diced heirloom tomatoes and shallots sprinkled around the zucchini.

My boss said that it was all really good, but that it needed something more. Something to really make it pop. Any suggestions?

Can you show a picture?

Sometimes a properly plated dish is half the task.

dcarch

• 2 weeks later...

When I was reading the recipe, my tongue said it wanted fresh corn kernels. The corn is sweet and starchy to balance the green flavors (green beans & zucchini) and the acidity of the tomatoes. The yellow color would look good on the plate, too. good luck!