• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tape That Sticks to Parchment Paper?

Jim D.

For a long time I have been searching for a tape that will stick to parchment. Any ideas I have found online (such as duct tape) have not worked. The next time I started a new roll of Reynolds parchment, I noticed that the roll is held in place by a small piece of tape--that sticks to the paper! So I wrote Reynolds to find out what kind of tape it is. I got a reply almost immediately, with the answer that they could not tell me because the tape is "proprietary." Yes, they have the right to say that, but it was very annoying as I cannot imagine what I could do to harm Reynolds with that information.

In any event, I now know there is a tape that will work. Does anyone have any ideas?

Maybe I'm not understanding what you are trying to stick the parchment to. It sounds like you want it to stay rolled in the box? Try clipping the ends with paperclips if that's what it is. Or roll some rubber bands around it.

I guess I wasn't very clear. I am making dipped chocolates. I pour the ganache into a frame set on parchment paper with the area to be filled created by moving four stainless steel bars into place. At the moment I stick the bars in place by using dabs of chocolate. If there is a second layer of ganache, I "glue" the second set of four bars to the first ones with more chocolate. I could go on doing this, but until the chocolate hardens, the bars slip around (and chocolate-making doesn't allow extra time for waiting for chocolate to harden), and the whole process is quite messy; cleaning the bars afterward is a real pain. If I could tape the bars to the parchment, I think it would be better in every way. Thus the search. In answer to one earlier poster, the tape doesn't have to be food safe since it wouldn't be touching anything edible.

Tonight at dinner a friend suggested the soft removable stuff used to hang posters on a wall.

This question has been fascinating me all day! I have a piece of Reynolds parchment and I have been all over the house trying to get stuff to stick to it. No luck!

But I've done some research and here is my best guess. As I understand, parchment uses silicone for its anti stick. And, from what I understand, the thing that best sticks to silicone is silicone. There are several silicone tapes out there, many in first aid applications. Also, I found he following intriguing link

http://www.ashleydistributors.com/archivalSILICON.php

So maybe silicone tape from CVS. there might be home improvement versions of silicone tape too, so maybe Home Depot.

Please post your solution if you find it as I might otherwise never sleep!

Masking tape works fine. It comes in several widths and is carried everywhere.

I tried masking tape, and it did not stick, at least not for very long.

Ditto.

There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

This question has been fascinating me all day! I have a piece of Reynolds parchment and I have been all over the house trying to get stuff to stick to it. No luck!

But I've done some research and here is my best guess. As I understand, parchment uses silicone for its anti stick. And, from what I understand, the thing that best sticks to silicone is silicone. There are several silicone tapes out there, many in first aid applications. Also, I found he following intriguing link

http://www.ashleydistributors.com/archivalSILICON.php

So maybe silicone tape from CVS. there might be home improvement versions of silicone tape too, so maybe Home Depot.

Please post your solution if you find it as I might otherwise never sleep!

I have some "Flexible Clear Tape" from the drug store (which feels like silicone) and tried that, but it did not work. The package doesn't say what it is made from, but probably not silicone. I will look at Lowe's and at CVS to see what there might be. I appreciate your interest, but do hope you don't go sleepless. I promise I will post a solution if I find one.

Aha! Thanks. Have you tried spraying the half-sheet or whatever (metal) surface you are using with Pam cooking spray? It is tasteless and sticks to baking sheets and pans easily. It even holds parchment to non-stick surfaces, in my experience.

Are you using tempered chocolate to glue your bars together? Should set up quickly enough.

Have you tried silpat instead of parchment? Not sure if tape would stick better or worse, but I do appreciate the non-wrinkling nature of silpat. I haven't done layered slabs in a while, but I think I used tempered chocolate and silpat.

Can you tape the bars to each other instead of to the paper? Then you only need to glue down the first set of bars.

Are you using tempered chocolate to glue your bars together? Should set up quickly enough.

Have you tried silpat instead of parchment? Not sure if tape would stick better or worse, but I do appreciate the non-wrinkling nature of silpat. I haven't done layered slabs in a while, but I think I used tempered chocolate and silpat.

Can you tape the bars to each other instead of to the paper? Then you only need to glue down the first set of bars.

I make my slabbed chocolates using the (slightly unorthodox) method of Ewald Notter: spread a thin layer of out-of-temper chocolate (the bottom) on the base (parchment or Silpat or whatever), put the stainless steel bars in place, let the chocolate firm up, then add the layer(s) of ganache. That way you don't have to flip the whole thing over. I don't have a guitar and use a knife to cut the slab. I don't think sharp knives and Silpats go well together. My biggest issue is the mess that using chocolate as glue causes (I have concerns about clogging up the kitchen plumbing with too much chocolate). I am thinking I will just have to be more careful in spreading the bottom to stay within the rectangle, using only tiny amounts to glue the bars. I have also ordered some acrylic sheets to see how they work (vs. parchment).

I make my slabbed chocolates using the (slightly unorthodox) method of Ewald Notter: spread a thin layer of out-of-temper chocolate (the bottom) on the base (parchment or Silpat or whatever), put the stainless steel bars in place, let the chocolate firm up, then add the layer(s) of ganache. That way you don't have to flip the whole thing over. I don't have a guitar and use a knife to cut the slab. I don't think sharp knives and Silpats go well together. My biggest issue is the mess that using chocolate as glue causes (I have concerns about clogging up the kitchen plumbing with too much chocolate). I am thinking I will just have to be more careful in spreading the bottom to stay within the rectangle, using only tiny amounts to glue the bars. I have also ordered some acrylic sheets to see how they work (vs. parchment).

Yes, you would have to remove the silpat before cutting, but if you don't want to deal with flipping the slab, leave it on parchment. You should only need a few dots of chocolate on each bar, and you can trace the size of the bars on the back of the parchment in sharpie so you know where to spread the foot. Chocolate is such a pain sometimes! Edited by pastrygirl (log)

I just tried some medical or first aid tape and it stuck pretty well to parchment. Also, a bandaid stuck really well but not sure if that will help you.

"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

Could you use acetate instead of parchment for this purpose? If so, then you could use regular masking tape to secure the bars to the acetate.

I mentioned earlier that I had some "acrylic" sheets on order, but I meant to say "acetate." I didn't know if any tape would stick to them, so am glad to know that masking tape will work. At least I will have an option to using chocolate as glue.

IMG_0700.jpg

The winners were the waterproof chest tube tape (skin coloured) and the plain old white medical adhesive tape (the thin stuff). Actually a masking tape I tried worked really well too.

• Like 1

Excellent Research. Published This Day. now only available :biggrin: on eGullet

there is a pink tape, third from the L. what is that?

Back in the Day, a similar looking tape ( a touch shinny like that and that color ) was used to secure endotracheal tubes in the OR. it was about 3/8" wide. its claim to fame what it was water-proof ( ie saliva proof) and didnt remove skin when taken down.

Jim - sorry, I just happened to have a loose roll on hand with no markings. Glad that Kerry was able to provide some more detailed research.

Edited by natasha1270 (log)
"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali