• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Per Se Lounge

jnash85

Are they still offering the option to dine a la carte in the lounge? I haven't seen any recent postings about it. I will be in NYC in a couple of weeks and I would love to go. Is it correct that they do no take reservations for the lounge?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Are they still offering the option to dine a la carte in the lounge? I haven't seen any recent postings about it. I will be in NYC in a couple of weeks and I would love to go. Is it correct that they do no take reservations for the lounge?

Finally had dinner at Per Se's Salon. The weather was very "iffy", and I knew if I went home and it was raining, I'd never go to the gym. Since my office moved a bit further west, the walk to Per Se is about 10 minutes, and since it was barely drizzling, I decided to finally try the Salon menu at Per Se since I had just checked their website, and they had posted the evening's menus which included 2 of my favorites: the calotte de boeuf and lobster.

I arrived at Per Se at about 6:00 (the table in front of the window was already occupied so if one does want that table, one should plan to get to the restaurant very early.

I was seated at the table next to it. The sofa is very comfortable, and the table height was perfect for me. Service was very attentive and friendly throughout the 2 hour dinner. Courses were well spaced, and my water glass was always being refilled without asking. Finished dishes were cleared promptly. Napkin was refolded when I left the table. Same level of service as in the dining room.

I started with a "mocktail" of grapefruit juice, ginger, lemongrass and tonic water that was lovely. I was served 2 gougeres, and the cornet of salmon roe and creme fraiche.

Not only did I have a choice of breads (4 or 5 choices with 4 pieces of each type), but my server left the bread basket on the table. Had two of the pretzel breads--delicious!

I asked whether there was any limit on the number of courses one could order, and the waiter said there is no limit.

In addition to the calotte de boeuf and lobster, I ordered the foie gras torchon and the angolotti. All were excellent, and very filling.

The interesting thing was that lobster was not on the regular menu last night, so I was extremely lucky.

The full description of the dishes are:

1) "Gateau" of Hudson Valley Moulard Duck Foie Gras with demi-sec Mission Figs, Hazelnut Puree, Red Onion Rings, Frisee Lettuce and Sherry Reduction. ($40)

2) Mascarpone Enriched Yukon Gold Potato "Agnolotti" with Brentwood Corn, Pickled Pearl Onions and Smoked Ricotta "Vichyssoise". ($32)

3) Butter Poached Nova Scotia Lobster with "Oeuf Frit et Garniture a la Blanquette". ($40)

4) Charcoal Grilled Snake River Farms' "Calotte de Boeuf" with "Pruneaux d'Agen," Roasted Sunchokes, Wilted Arrowleaf Spinach, Sweet Carrots and Smoked Foie Gras-Madeira Emulsion. ($46) (this is still my favorite beef dish)

When the foie gras was served, my server originally brought only 2 types of salt, but when I joked that I wasn't getting the usual 6 types of salt, she quickly brought over the usual 6 salt dispenser, and removed the original 2 salts without any hesitation. My warm brioche was replenished 2 additional times while I was eating my foie gras (I hadn't finished the ones of my plate, but this is Per Se, they wanted me to have warm brioche throughout the course--very nice touch!).

After my savory courses, I ordered the "coffee and doughnuts" ($18), and also received a tray of mignardises, and a tin of 3 chocolate cream filled shortbread cookies to take home (just remembered they're in my tote bag--nice snack when I have my coffee later).

Bottom line: for anyone who either doesn't have the time for the full dinner, is unable to get a reservation, wants to dine at Per Se at the last minute, or doesn't want a full 9 course tasting menu, the Salon at Per Se is a spectacular way of enjoying Per Se. Definitely plan to return to the Salon at Per Se!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

This is perfect ellenost, thanks so much for posting. So you just show up around dinner time? No calling ahead required? I will be in NYC next month and while I was able to secure Le Bernardin and EMP reservations, Per Se eluded me. Walking into the salon would be great and from your description it sounds like a lovely experience.

• 2 weeks later...

This is perfect ellenost, thanks so much for posting. So you just show up around dinner time? No calling ahead required? I will be in NYC next month and while I was able to secure Le Bernardin and EMP reservations, Per Se eluded me. Walking into the salon would be great and from your description it sounds like a lovely experience.

Yes, you simply "show up", and there should be seating available. You don't need to call ahead to reserve. There are a few separate seating areas (sofa with table) as well as a long communal table. I returned to Per Se two weeks ago for my birthday dinner, and noted people eating dinner at both the communal table and the individual sofas/tables. Dining at the Salon at Per Se was wonderful for a spontaneous dinner at one of the best restaurants in NYC. I've been noticing that Per Se posts their dinner menus (including the Salon menu) at about 5:30, and since it's about a 10 - 15 minute walk from my office, I think I'll be dining in the Salon more frequently as a spur of the moment treat.

Yes, you simply "show up", and there should be seating available. You don't need to call ahead to reserve. There are a few separate seating areas (sofa with table) as well as a long communal table. I returned to Per Se two weeks ago for my birthday dinner, and noted people eating dinner at both the communal table and the individual sofas/tables. Dining at the Salon at Per Se was wonderful for a spontaneous dinner at one of the best restaurants in NYC. I've been noticing that Per Se posts their dinner menus (including the Salon menu) at about 5:30, and since it's about a 10 - 15 minute walk from my office, I think I'll be dining in the Salon more frequently as a spur of the moment treat.

Excellent, appreciate the follow-up. I am definitely going to take advantage of this when I am in town in a couple of weeks. Sounds like the perfect way to get an amazing meal without having to stress about getting reservations.

Thanks again.