• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pickles using leftover commercial pickle 'juice'

rotuts

Ive been using a lot of ba-tampte pickles in the heat and have at least a full jar's worth of the pickling juice.

kirby cucumbers are on sale this week: if I wash a few, +/- slice these in 1/2 length wise, and leave in the PJuice in the refrig will they remind me of pickles?

worth trying?

have not done this yet. tomorrow or the next day for the Kirbies. than some time in the refrig.

was hoping someone here has already done this.

Edited by rotuts (log)

You're better off making your own pickles afresh. All it takes is two pounds of kirbies, sliced lengthwise in halves or quarters. Dissolve 1/3 cup Diamond Crystal kosher salt (1/4 c if its Morton's kosher salt) in cup of boiling water. Then throw in a handful or so of ice cubes to cool. Add kirbies, 3-8 crushed cloves of garlic, some fresh dill or some coriander seeds, add enough more cold water to cover, then keep it all submerged with plate smaller than bowl's diameter and a weight -- perhaps a glass jar filled with your old pickle juice! Place in cool space (not fridge) and taste after 12 hours. Depending how "done" you like them they might be ready or need another 6-36 hours. Just keep tasting! When ready repackage to clean glass container with your homemade brine and refrigerate. They'll keep fermenting, but more slowly. Will last two weeks or so ... But they're likely to be consumed long before then.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

thanks. its about time I tried this. i has hoping to reproduce the ba-tempte half-sour taste:

would the 1/2 part imply that these pickles are only 1/2 pickled? they are dark green and have a good krunch.

I am still curious if anyone has used existing pickle juice successfully. If not for the kind rotuts is talking about how about dill?

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I have a friend who does this. Thankfully, he keeps his experiments in the fridge. The water from the fresh vegetables will water down the solution making it more susceptible to becoming a growth medium for bacteria, etc. I wouldn't do it more than once, and I'd discard after 5 days.

Acidity is also an issue. Acid foods are hostile environments for foodborne illness, that's why they types of pickles that used to be stored in barrels could be stored in barrels for long periods of time. Watering down the liquid raises the pH and stops killing things.

I am still curious if anyone has used existing pickle juice successfully. If not for the kind rotuts is talking about how about dill?

I don't use the fermented style pickle liquid but I often reuse vinegar based dill pickle liquid for pickled eggs. I top up with extra vinegar and water if needed and add some sliced onions.

Edited by Ashen (log)

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow