• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Making Memories in Manitoulin – at it again!

DSCN1530.jpg

I put together the dry ingredients separate from the wet in the fridge last night so I could throw everything together as soon as I got up this morning. Took in some red current jam to go with them.

Tried Ann_T's trick of poking a finger in the centre to prevent toppling. Next I need to fold a couple of times to add layers.

DSCN1531.jpg

Lucked out finding another reduced package of top sirloin cap (rump cap) for picanha. Forgot them on the BBQ while I was kneading some bread dough - so they ended up medium - but still exquisitely tender.

DSCN1532.jpg

Pulled the shanks out of the sous vide - about 44 hours. Gave the pieces a bit of char an the egg. The bone marrow is amazing - I think I'm going to have to do some sous vide tests on cooking the perfect marrow bones.

I wish I had a little Famous Grouse up here to try it with.

Working on some bread and trying to decide on my cocktail de jour.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

DSCN1536.jpg

Anna's suggestion - King Arthur Flour Three Cheese Semolina Bread. Actually two cheeses - smoked and plain cheddar. Didn't have any other sharp cheeses in the house.

Smells amazing - will have to be cleaning the oven a bit - some overflow from the cheese.

• Like 1

One should not drink and bake - it can be dangerous. That beverage shown above has 3 ounces of liquor in it (and I'm a lightweight).

I'm baking the Summer Tart from Ann_T's blog. Ann lives in Cowichan Bay which is where my granny lived - and I have fond memories of the place - a whole lot of them revolving around food. So suffice it to say I'm feeling a little maudlin and not being too careful. Anyway the berries I'm using are located in the freezer - along with several bottles of the meat juices from sous videing various pieces of beef. Suckers weigh a fair bit - and you wouldn't want the frozen glass bottle hitting the tile floor - so putting your ankle in the way is the sensible way to prevent that from happening as it falls. Suspect it will be a nice bruise in the morning.

One should not drink and bake - it can be dangerous. That beverage shown above has 3 ounces of liquor in it (and I'm a lightweight).

I'm baking the Summer Tart from Ann_T's blog. Ann lives in Cowichan Bay which is where my granny lived - and I have fond memories of the place - a whole lot of them revolving around food. So suffice it to say I'm feeling a little maudlin and not being too careful. Anyway the berries I'm using are located in the freezer - along with several bottles of the meat juices from sous videing various pieces of beef. Suckers weigh a fair bit - and you wouldn't want the frozen glass bottle hitting the tile floor - so putting your ankle in the way is the sensible way to prevent that from happening as it falls. Suspect it will be a nice bruise in the morning.

That sounds oddly familiar. Last night while looking for something in the freezer, a small ceramic quiche pan fell unexpectedly. Unfortunately for the pan, I did not react quickly enough to be able to dampen the fall with my foot. At least I won't have a bruise!

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)

That sounds oddly familiar. Last night while looking for something in the freezer, a small ceramic quiche pan fell unexpectedly. Unfortunately for the pan, I did not react quickly enough to be able to dampen the fall with my foot. At least I won't have a bruise!

My sympathies are with you. Pulled a little piece of glass out of my foot a couple of days ago - must have been from the bottle of fish sauce I broke last year.

Ouch! I have dropped a few things on my foot while in the kitchen at home and think "Why do I not have kitchen shoes for the home Kitchen?" That would be a smart idea but of course at home you never feel that you will need them at home....Of course the home is probably where most accidents happen!

Hope it doesn't swell up too much!

The bread looks delicious! Wish I could smell it, it looked so good! Did you smoke the cheese yourself?

Yup - smoked a big batch of Cabot sharp cheddar on my large BGE to be eaten and shared - and to use for the Eggfests. We made cheese toast with the smoked cheese and served it with Anna's chipotle ketsup and purchased curry ketsup. One of our simplest but most popular offerings.

That tart looks delicious and the recipe sounds so easy.... hmmmmm....

I dropped a cast iron burner grate on my foot the other day. Hurt like heck and lovely bruise.

Edited by SylviaLovegren (log)

That tart looks delicious and the recipe sounds so easy.... hmmmmm....

I dropped a cast iron burner grate on my foot the other day. Hurt like heck and lovely bruise.

A cool cast iron burner grate I hope?

• Like 1

DSCN1543.jpg

Ann_T has been a great inspiration this week - decided to make Hainanese Chicken Rice with the breast of the remaining Max Burt Chicken.

No chili chicken rice sauce - so mixed some red currant jam with some siracha - nice counter point to the chicken. Getting good milage out of the red currant jam!

Great idea on the jam with hot sauce. I often used a bit of marmalade or jam as the sweet element. It adds so much more than just sweetness. Currant jam was our "go to" in making Ischler Krapfen as a kid. Often hard to find. the best we could do was to be joyous at finding this Smucker's product. I have never had the home-made "real version". Probably head and shoulders above what we got - actually we only were able to source jelly - now I use lingonberry jam when I can find it.

To us Ischler Krapfen were similar to this image. Basically a ground nut (we used walnuts), butter/margarine, flour, sugar cookie heavily spiced in our case with cinnamon. Rolled out thinly and the top cookies had a hole or holes so the pretty jelly could peek through. (also resulted in lots of broken bits for the helpers)

DSCN1544.jpg

Looks like a dog's breakfast I know (should have seen it before the ganache drizzle and nuts applied) - but should be tasty. Icebox cake using Simple Pleasures Chocolate biscuits and chocolate whipped cream.

Made a batch of Modernist Lemon Curd (contains no lemon - but is amazingly good)

DSCN1546.jpg

Used it to make Lemon Bread Pudding - using Columba di Pasqua found in the reduced section at the grocery store for $1.99. Tasty stuff - I was hard pressed not to snack on the whole thing before I got it toasted up for the pudding.

DSCN1548.jpg

Because you can? It uses citric acid and lemon oil. The first time I made it I used lemon in place of the water called for in the sugar syrup - it was actually better with the water.

Excitement around here this morning when a new stove showed up. The thermostat in the oven had given up the ghost and was unreliable. Given the cost of a new thermostat and the labour to put it in - they decided that a new one was the way to go. I was given the authority to decide which of 3 available ranges I wanted. Of course I opted for the one with convection.

DSCN1553.jpg

Look how clean that is - won't last!

DSCN1552.jpg

I've already put the pizza stones in there - wishing I'd left them out until after I'd given it a good preheat - cause it's a bit resiny smelling right now.

DSCN1554.jpg

LOL! I just took a few cheese biscuits downstairs to the landlord. I find they taste the best when still warm so decided to share. Thanks for posting the pictures off all the stuff you are making, that is why I got the recipe out again :-)