• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Making Memories in Manitoulin – at it again!

you can get usually get Partridgeberries at

Stoyles Food Market
184 Main Street East.
Cambridge, Ontario
Canada
N1R 1W7

http://www.stoyleswholesale.com/content/product_list.html

they will do mail order for some products but I think the berries probably are better picked up from the store . It is probably a good idea to call them first to make sure they are in stock too.

Edited by Ashen (log)

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

you can get usually get Partridgeberries at

Stoyles Food Market

184 Main Street East.

Cambridge, Ontario

Canada

N1R 1W7

http://www.stoyleswholesale.com/content/product_list.html

they will do mail order for some products but I think the berries probably are better picked up from the store . It is probably a good idea to call them first to make sure they are in stock too.

Gosh, Kerry, I sure hope this works out for you. Lingonberries, or whatever they're called wherever it is one is, are wonderful. Lingonberry jams and syrups are the best.

And then there's that Northern Comfort I mentioned...

If you don't have a lot of "Partridgeberries" where you are, perhaps you could plant some. They seem to grow wild in most northern locales.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

DSCN1483.jpg

Salt placed in the saute pan preparatory to browning a duck breast. Interesting what the induction does to it.

DSCN1485.jpg

Duck breast - sous v'ed for a couple of hours at 54.5, then placed fat side down on the salt until it gave up about 1/2 a cup of duck fat. Deglazed with red current jam I made yesterday and a bit of duck stock.

Julia's braised cucumbers with some little kirbys I picked up.

• Like 2

I was on call yesterday - so a rather late night getting a young lady shipped off to Sick Kids with fulminant liver failure (tylenol can be such a bad thing!). The helicopter had been routed up from London and the medics and flight crew spent a couple of hours with us before they were able to head out. Too bad the nurses had eaten all the baking already!

This am I got a call rather early and decided I'd drag myself out of bed to hit the market before all the strawberries were gone. Well - I arrived before the Pike's Farm truck - so went to visit with Mika who owns the Waterstreet Bakery. I was told the truck always came at 9. I got back to the market just before nine - there was one basket left - and the young lady in front of me had her eye on it. She only wanted a quart though - so I got the remains of the basket.

DSCN1486.jpg

Gotta love the teeny tiny cauliflowers. Thinking I might just roast them whole.

I'm heading off shortly to hit Max Burt's farm for some meat - of course if I showed up there without chocolate for Max my name would be mud.

DSCN1490.jpg

I dipped the best of the strawberries (they were pretty ripe and kind of wet) - and put the rest in the freezer for future projects.

DSCN1488.jpg

Maple bark with feuilletine.

DSCN1489.jpg

Candied ginger in dark.

DSCN1487.jpg

Turdlets with marshmallow, graham wafer and peanuts again.

• Like 1

Now I have to go out to get some strawberries....what is the Fluff you made with strawberries? It looked interesting.

That would be this one.

I love this thread. I love reading little anecdotes about the doctor (fish hook, etc). You seem to live such a charmed life, doctoring, cooking, baking, chocolatiering and mothering!! SIgh!! Thank you for sharing. It is inspiring. I don't know how you do it all.

Although Kerry won't admit it, but she is not much short of superwoman. Just reading of all she does makes me tired

• Like 1

That would assume I do normal things like other folks - such as cleaning!

I headed off to Max's place - stopping in Kagawong for a couple of pictures. I avoided the traditional Bridal Veil Falls pictures - mostly because there were too many people parked there.

DSCN1496.jpg

DSCN1492.jpg

Max has a new sign I noticed.

DSCN1499.jpg

Max's farm as you approach along the side road.

DSCN1497.jpg

Some random cows on the island - not sure if beef or dairy.

DSCN1502.jpg

A couple of chickens, a top blade steak, two big beautiful porterhouses (is that porterhomes pleural?) and two nice big beef shanks. There were no pork chops left today - so I grabbed the only pork roast in the freezer - I'll make my own chops.

DSCN1503.jpg

An interesting find at one of the agency LCBO's - a couple of the last bottles of Stock dry available in Ontario. Hope it's good!

DSCN1505.jpg

• Like 1

DSCN1506.jpg

Lots of boats in town this weekend - it's the 100th anniversary of the swing bridge that joins the island to the mainland. It's also getting close to the Macman race - a sailing race between Mackinaw Island Michigan and Manitoulin. That will happen on the 18th and the 19th. Lots of people will be in town for that.

DSCN1511.jpg

The garlic scapes this week are a little drier that the previous ones - so I decided to give these a little steam in the Thermomix. Lovely tender little garlic bites now.

DSCN1512.jpg

I've got the two shanks in the sous vide for 48 hours at 68º C.

DSCN1514.jpg

This morning for breakfast I fried up some of the remaining 'caulcannon' with some of the garlic scapes. It was a little soft to make patties from - but still very tasty.

DSCN1517.jpg

Today was the best by day of the remaining mussels - probably tossed about 1/4 of them. The rest in red thai curry sauce. Cooked a titch longer than last time - I was happier with the texture.

DSCN1518.jpg

Made a hot crossed bread - sans cross for Wiki clinic tomorrow. Won't bother to glaze it either.

DSCN1521.jpg

Just got back from the Flee (sic) Market.

Found some tonic water and a couple of books.

• Like 1

Which edition of the Savoy Cocktail Book is that, Kerry?

Looks like a 1976 reprint, Arno Press - Note to reader says "This edition has been reproduced from a copy of the original "SAVOY COCKTAIL BOOK" published in 1930. It reflects the style, flavor and, unfortunately, the mild imperfections of the printing processes of that era."

I want to pull the skin off that chicken and munch away. What did you think of the cauliflower roasted whole like that?

I liked the cauliflower - but it could have roasted a bit longer - it still had a bit of tooth to it.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

attachicon.gifDSCN1527.jpg

Affinity.

From the Savoy, right? What are you thoughts on this one?

Regarding the Savoy, there have been changes between different editions. Some recipes were replaced by others, even though the layout of the book may look similar. Usually it is pretty easy to spot which ones (vodka-based, etc).

Didn't really like it a lot. Tasted kind of inky (iodine I guess from the scotch) added half an ounce each of lemon and simple and enjoyed the rest.