• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Making Memories in Manitoulin – at it again!

attachicon.gifDSCN1695.jpg

Some not so beautiful chocolates - playing with a two piece mold - the downside to this one is it can't be scraped and without a shaker table it can't be dumped very easily either. More than anything though I wanted to see how it painted - so we'll see that by tomorrow.

Strap it to the washing machine on spin cycle ;)

Those chocolates look almost (hear me now, ALMOST) too beautiful to eat...

Now there's a thought!

How many dishes are you planning to make at the Eggfest? Do you coordinate with the other participants or is it just a gigantic "potluck" that just works out well in the end?

Everyone just makes what they make - folks walk around eating what they eat. Lineups are common.

We'll probably make around 8 things. We have the use of two Eggs.

Oh the "eggs" are not the ingredient but the machine! I was wondering! Niagara doesn't seem that much of an "egg" place (not that they don't have them, just that they don't seem inordinately proud of them, as they do of their peaches, cherries, grapes, etc.).

DSCN1702.jpg

Buttermilk loaf (made with yogurt) lemon oil, blueberries and crystallized ginger bits.

DSCN1703.jpg

Monumental fail - but all part of the learning curve. Good news is - these little grenades will be gone before noon I'm sure. Filling is a bit of runny caramel and hazelnut gianduja.

• Like 1

Nice sounding filling! I am sure they will be consumed anyway, I know I would scarf a few down if I got some :-)

The loaf sounds delicious!!! Are blueberries in season there yet.

Yes they are - these are still the frozen ones from last year though.

The dough made in the Thermomix (how lazy can I get?)

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

You need to work on your PR spin. I sure you meant to say "How efficient can I get?" :wink:

• Like 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

The dough made in the Thermomix (how lazy can I get?)

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

You need to work on your PR spin. I sure you meant to say "How efficient can I get?" :wink:

Guess I am just too honest.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

So I was quite determined to take a day off from cooking but managed to get guilted into finishing the peach and bourbon sorbet

image.jpg

Then last night Kerry and I somehow got onto the topic of the celery bread served at the Erie Beach Hotel in Port Dover, Ontario. I told her how I had searched and searched for a recipe years ago with no success. She instigated yet another search with no better results but persuaded me to make an attempt. She then brought home celery seed from the grocer's and thus ended my day off:

image.jpg

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

DSCN1705.jpg

T-bone on sale at GG's today. Asked Bob to cut me a couple of a decent thickness and not to trim them.

We decided some veg was in order - so stir fried bok choy. Wouldn't want folks to think we never eat vegetables!

DSCN1706.jpg

Parkin. Anna pointed me the the recipe for '100 year old Parkin' from Dan Lepard. This was a slight variation - using all molasses rather than a mixture with golden syrup.

• Like 1

So here's the baked bread:

image.jpg

And according to what we could learn from google, it is cut up into large slabs, the crusts removed and then toasted or browned in some way. I opted to lightly butter it and pan fry:

image.jpg

It did NOT resurrect any special memories. Clearly adding celery seed to white sandwhich bread is not the answer. Kerry and I will have to take a drive down to Port Dover one fine day for research purposes.

However, the bread made a fine base for a couple of poached eggs for my breakfast:

image.jpg

My 2004 eG Blog

We have reached the using things up stage. I had quite a lot of eggwhites and looked through my recipes to see what I could find. Financiers seemed to fit the bill.

Of course I don't have the bar shaped molds here to bake them in - so used mini muffin tins.

DSCN1708.jpg

DSCN1709.jpg

Here's something I found interesting - the little pocket that forms on the bottom - I had always assumed it was secondary to the silicone baking molds I use at home - but I was interested to see that it formed in the metal as well.

Pretty peach color on the peach and bourbon sorbet! Did you like it?

Not nearly peachy enough! I think with luscious tree-ripe peaches it would be much more impressive.

My 2004 eG Blog

Pretty peach color on the peach and bourbon sorbet! Did you like it?

Not nearly peachy enough! I think with luscious tree-ripe peaches it would be much more impressive.

Well the peaches are starting to come in very nicely around here... I'll try out the recipe soon and see what happens.

DSCN1712.jpg

Tonight we are drinking a Xanadu.

At work today the nurses gave me a lovely card - and it contained two gift cards. One for the grocery store - a bigger one for the liquor store. They know me so well!

• Like 1

DSCN1710.jpg

Halvah with pistachios and dark chocolate under construction. A small batch with the remains of the bottle of tahini.

You figured out how to make halvah?!!! Would you be willing to share your recipe?

Small plates for dinner tonight -

DSCN1714.jpg

Onion bhaji with tamarind dipping sauce.

DSCN1715.jpg

Artichokes with garlic butter - Anna does not appear to be a fan so far.

attachicon.gifDSCN1710.jpg

Halvah with pistachios and dark chocolate under construction. A small batch with the remains of the bottle of tahini.

You figured out how to make halvah?!!! Would you be willing to share your recipe?

We've got a thread on this somewhere - http://forums.egullet.org/topic/129825-halvah-a-favorite-confection/?p=1707060

• Like 1

attachicon.gifDSCN1710.jpg

We've got a thread on this somewhere - http://forums.egullet.org/topic/129825-halvah-a-favorite-confection/?p=1707060

Thank you! I remember that discussion but did not know that a solution had been found. In fact Pat was trying to make halvah at the 2013 NOTL workshop... He made an amazing sesame fudge. ;)

Looks like I am a bit out of sequence but here's my lunch:

image.jpg

Romaine, red onions, leftover T -bone with a Worcestershire cream dressing.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Last day in the ER today - request was for cheese biscuits.

DSCN1719.jpg

Anna decided 'we' should make Momofuku apple pies with miso butterscotch. Not really into deep frying we decided that a galette would work in it's place.

DSCN1717.jpg

Miso Butterscotch.

IMG_0724.jpg

The halvah cut - it could have been beaten a bit longer - and another day in the pan would result in more crystallization - but it will be eaten!

DSCN1720.jpg

• Like 1