• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Making Memories in Manitoulin – at it again!

What do you do with the mustard? Spread it on the puff pastry to mix it in with the sausage meat?

When I make sausage rolls, I just use ground pork, minced shallots, and penzey's breakfast sausage seasoning. Sometimes I add cubes of cheese or if I'm feeling a little more healthful, asparagus or red pepper.

But looking at your mise, I feel I might be missing something!

Yes, I spread the mustard on the pastry before adding the sausage mixture. This was the only mustard available here but a plain Dijon would have been better. I don't think you are missing anything. Each person likely makes their own filling to their own taste.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

DSCN1670.jpg

For rounds this morning Oat and Maple Syrup Scones from the Smitten Kitten site. I added a fair bit more moisture than called for. I used yogurt in place of the 1/4 cup milk and probably added another 1/3 cup of milk. My dough was moist in spite of instructions not to make it so. Very tender scones.

I'm working at the clinic in Aundeck Omni Kaning (the community formerly known as Sucker Creek) today. The sausage rolls will be heading out there with me.

I enjoyed one of Kerry's scones for breakfast so no breakfast photo.

Let's do something a little different. Here's two mise-en-place photos to contemplate for a few hours:

image.jpg

image.jpg

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

A few more photos:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Was hoping for a few guesses especially about the bread! Here it is, lachha paratha served alongside Ethiopian beef, spinach and peanut stew. The bread was intriguing both to make and to eat. We will be serving it at the Niagara Eggfest on August 11th.

Today I hope to tackle scallion pancakes, peach and bourbon sorbet and Ann T's summer torte using up the last of the (now frozen) red currants.

My 2004 eG Blog

How many dishes are you planning to make at the Eggfest? Do you coordinate with the other participants or is it just a gigantic "potluck" that just works out well in the end?

Anna and Kerry, I could be wrong. In reading thru this thread, I seem to think that you guys really like cooking, eating and drinking. LOL!

Thanks a million for this fantastic, educational and delicious thread so far. I really appreciate it.

dcarch

attachicon.gifDSCN1555.jpg

Look what my downstairs neighbour just dropped off!

They look terrific. And that's a pretty wonderful neighbor.

But something tells me that she gets better than she gives.

If you know what I mean....

:smile:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Would you mind sharing your recipe for peach & bourbon sorbet? Sounds like a great flavor combination.

Here you go

http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-bourbon-peach-sorbet-no-ice-cream-maker-necessary-recipes-from-the-kitchn-192547

This will be my first attempt and I am cheating by using frozen peaches. The bourbon, however, will be "fresh",

My 2004 eG Blog

So here's a walk through the prep of the scallion pancakes:

image.jpg

The scallion greens chopped and given an opportunity to dry out a little

image.jpg

The dough made in the Thermomix (how lazy can I get?)

image.jpg

Adding the scallion greens to the oiled dough

image.jpg

The pancake cooking

image.jpg

See the laminations?

image.jpg

And Ann T's wonderfully simple summer torte made with red currents. I also prepped tonight's dinner of chicken thighs with caramelized shallots (another Eggfest experiment. Photo later) and made the base for a peach and bourbon sorbet which is chilling in the freezer.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

How many dishes are you planning to make at the Eggfest? Do you coordinate with the other participants or is it just a gigantic "potluck" that just works out well in the end?

Everyone just makes what they make - folks walk around eating what they eat. Lineups are common.

We'll probably make around 8 things. We have the use of two Eggs.

Would you mind sharing your recipe for peach & bourbon sorbet? Sounds like a great flavor combination.

Here you go

http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-bourbon-peach-sorbet-no-ice-cream-maker-necessary-recipes-from-the-kitchn-192547

This will be my first attempt and I am cheating by using frozen peaches. The bourbon, however, will be "fresh",

Thank you for the recipe. Think I'll be trying this soon with "aged" bourbon and fresh peaches. ;)

DSCN1683.jpg

Back to basics - The Maximilian Affair tonight.

DSCN1684.jpg

Anna put together one 'scallion' pancake using kimchi in place of the scallions - we all had some. Very yummy.

Did a little airbrushing on Sunday working on a chocolate for an upcoming wedding.

DSCN1674.jpg

DSCN1676.jpg

Different splatter colours with 3 different background purples. Filling is a soft dark and milk ganache with fiore di sicilia.

DSCN1678.jpg

A mold I really liked the look of when I saw it in a shop in DC.

DSCN1679.jpg

DSCN1680.jpg

Filling in these is a flowing caramel.

• Like 1

Tonight I'm playing with Troll Cream. This is 70 grams of eggwhite into which I have drizzled about 150 ml of the elderflower cordial I made, along with some commercial grenadine for colour.

DSCN1692.jpg

This is the large mixmaster bowl so you can see how much volume you get.

DSCN1694.jpg

Then I nuked it a bit at a time until it firmed up to make vauquelin.

I'm experimenting with the leftovers to see if it will dehydrate in the oven into meringue.

DSCN1695.jpg

Some not so beautiful chocolates - playing with a two piece mold - the downside to this one is it can't be scraped and without a shaker table it can't be dumped very easily either. More than anything though I wanted to see how it painted - so we'll see that by tomorrow.

• Like 2

attachicon.gifDSCN1695.jpg

Some not so beautiful chocolates - playing with a two piece mold - the downside to this one is it can't be scraped and without a shaker table it can't be dumped very easily either. More than anything though I wanted to see how it painted - so we'll see that by tomorrow.

Strap it to the washing machine on spin cycle ;)

Those chocolates look almost (hear me now, ALMOST) too beautiful to eat...