• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Making Memories in Manitoulin – at it again!

Bread ready for the oven:attachicon.gifimage.jpg

It is a strangely shaped pan that is much wider than the 9x5 ones I use at home hence the rather squat loaf:attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I perhaps bit off a bit more than I can reasonably chew today so the chicken will have to wait until tomorrow. I'm enjoying a mid afternoon coffee and will tackle the zucchini butter shortly.

Care to share ingredient quantities for the bread?

Elsie, it is the Walter Sands bread from King Arthur flour site.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Cool! Planning on planting it back home? I imagine the deer on the island will take a liking to figs :-)

Yeah - then I only have to deal with the squirrels, chipmunks and racoons.

Not sure how I'll get it in the car though.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

DSCN1628.jpg

Here is what $1 buys you in the new thrift store in Wiki. As you can see my taste in reading runs to light mysteries with no redeeming social value. I bought the foodsaver on faith and it seems to work. Needs a serious clean though.

• Like 1

DSCN1630.jpg

Perhaps the Plymouth Gin on Saturday - tonight we had to celebrate Tequila day. A Margara from Kindred Cocktail.

DSCN1632.jpg

So good the first time around - that we did it again.

DSCN1634.jpg

First trial of the imitation of Starbuck's Maple Oat Nut Scones. Hope they'll have enough time to cool so I can drizzle them with the icing before I get my first call in to work.

So the zucchini butter turned out reasonably well despite some interruptions and a bit of scorching:

image.jpg

Certainly not quite up to the hype in the recipe headnote http://food52.com/recipes/23071-jennie-cook-s-zucchini-butter

Breakfast this morning was toast from the bread I made yesterday topped with some Vermont cheddar:

image.jpg

Today I will make the Country Captain Chicken and write up my shopping list for our trip to Sudbury tomorrow.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

attachicon.gifDSCN1630.jpg

Perhaps the Plymouth Gin on Saturday - tonight we had to celebrate Tequila day. A Margara from Kindred Cocktail.

I'm coveting your ice cubes! Do you have a special ice cube tray to make them?

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

So the Country Captain Chicken is made:

image.jpg

The mise.

image.jpg

The finished dish.

Kerry is on call today so must eat when she can. This lends itself to re-heating.

My 2004 eG Blog

attachicon.gifDSCN1630.jpg

I'm coveting your ice cubes! Do you have a special ice cube tray to make them?

Tovoli silicone trays in 2 sizes.

Picked up inexpensively at Homesense.

the CCC looks very good. what Rx did you use? and what is the AB curry spice blend in the bag, I could not quite make out the markings.

thanks

It's this recipe

http://abc.go.com/shows/the-chew/recipes/Country-Captain-Chicken-Paula-Deen

And the curry powder is Alton Brown's recipe.

My 2004 eG Blog

So the zucchini butter turned out reasonably well despite some interruptions and a bit of scorching:

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Certainly not quite up to the hype in the recipe headnote http://food52.com/recipes/23071-jennie-cook-s-zucchini-butter

Breakfast this morning was toast from the bread I made yesterday topped with some Vermont cheddar:

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Today I will make the Country Captain Chicken and write up my shopping list for our trip to Sudbury tomorrow.

Looks like a new toaster might be in order? ;)

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

So the zucchini butter turned out reasonably well despite some interruptions and a bit of scorching:attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Breakfast this morning was toast from the bread I made yesterday topped with some Vermont cheddar:attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Looks like a new toaster might be in order? ;)

Nah! I just like very dark toast.

My 2004 eG Blog

DSCN1655.jpg

Anna and I are sipping on a Liberation from Kindred Cocktails. This required the liberation of the cap from the brand new bottle first. Grunting, sweating, getting a grip on the lid and the bottle with silicone were all unsuccessful - as was hot water on the cap. Finally whacked the metal on the lid with the back side of a heavy knife to dent it and was able to get it open.

I'll let it work on me for a few minutes then prepare a report on what we got up to today in Sudbury.

DSCN1637.jpg

DSCN1638.jpg

We headed out early this am - stopped enroute at the truck stop in Nairn Centre for breakfast. Apparently only two cooks had shown up for work so breakfast was slow and the waitresses were grouchy. Crispy bacon was not very crispy - but the potato pancakes were wonderful. We discovered them last time - never ordered them before because we didn't realize they were latkes!

Stops today included the LCBO, Paris Natural Foods, Homesense, Staples, Bulk Barn, STOP restaurant supplies, Liquidation World, Value Village, My Thai for dinner and finally the Independent Grocer on the way home.

DSCN1649.jpg

DSCN1651.jpg

DSCN1652.jpg

DSCN1646.jpg

Anna has no self control when it comes to little dishes -

DSCN1654.jpg

Dinner at My Thai - we enjoyed the calamai (of course), beef salad, and panang curry.

DSCN1639.jpg

DSCN1640.jpg

DSCN1642.jpg

DSCN1644.jpg

DSCN1660.jpg

Went with the Esquire ratios - 1.5 base liquor, 0.5 each aperol, liqueur and citrus. It tasted a little medicinal - so we'll calling it Dutch Penicillin. Added a dash of St Germaine after we tasted it.

• Like 1

So Kerry and I are cooking for the Eggfest in Niagara the Sunday after we get home. We are taking the opportunity to test out a couple of recipes. This morning I made some sauage rolls. Here's the mise:

image.jpg

There was just enough stuffing leftover for a sausage patty to go along with a farm fresh egg whose yolk I managed to break:

image.jpg

Edited because I hit post before I had uploaded the breakfast photo! Probably on account of the cocktail Kerry made!

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

And the results! A small batch baked on the little BGE and the larger batch baked in the oven. In a large BGE the tops should brown better - but it's nice to know we can just turn them over for 5 minutes to get the tops a little browner as required.

DSCN1666.jpg

DSCN1667.jpg

DSCN1668.jpg

DSCN1669.jpg

• Like 1

What do you do with the mustard? Spread it on the puff pastry to mix it in with the sausage meat?

When I make sausage rolls, I just use ground pork, minced shallots, and penzey's breakfast sausage seasoning. Sometimes I add cubes of cheese or if I'm feeling a little more healthful, asparagus or red pepper.

But looking at your mise, I feel I might be missing something!