• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Making Memories in Manitoulin – at it again!

Beautiful pita, Anna.

Thank you, Ruth. I am always amazed when they puff up so beautifully.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Did you get the recipe for the pita from that site too? Never thought of making pita homemade, but it would probably be a lot fresher than the ones you get in the store.

Actually the recipe is from eG:

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/126765-pita-bread-khobz-arabi/?hl=pita

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Since the grocery stores had no ground pork for our beans, i hand chopped a pork shoulder chop:

image.jpg

My 2004 eG Blog

My mid-morning snack:

An attempt to eat more fruits.

image.jpg

My 2004 eG Blog

Tonight my #2 son joined us for dinner. We had pork that Kerry had sous-vided and seared on the mini green egg, duck-fat roasted baby red potatoes and grilled romaine and scallions:

image.jpg

My 2004 eG Blog

Yup - you did! Thanks. Any other favourites from the Savoy?

The Corpse Reviver No. 2 is a huge favorite. Another good one with Lillet is the Odd McIntyre (with cognac as the base). If you still have some genever the Mr Manhattan Cocktail is nice and refreshing.

There are a lot of other cocktails from the Savoy that I like, but I tend to use tweaked ratios.

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)

how do you like using that wok on the induction plate? I have the same one but have not gotten around to trying it yet that way.

Not being much of a stickler for authenticity in recipes or methods I find it works just fine for me. Anyone hoping for a wok with blazing hot sides will be very disappoined. Induction does not lend itself to that sort of heat distribution. On the other hand induction's advantages far out weigh its limitations in my opinion.

My 2004 eG Blog

This morning breakfast was again a slab of pumpernickel topped with Danish blue and my mid-morning snack was a very acceptable nectarine:

image.jpg

image.jpg

My 2004 eG Blog

DSCN1610.jpg

Grabbed a bite while I'm home - leftover pork chop, chinese mustard greens and a bit of kimchi.

By 10:30 there was a thin wedge of pie left in the nurses break room.

Anna, are you actually getting tree ripened peaches and nectarines? If you are, I'm jealous!

No such luck! These are just supermarket produce but I have had much worse.

Edited because I am too impatient!

Edited by Anna N (log)

My 2004 eG Blog

While Kerry performs great acts of humanitarianism at the hospital I get to indulge my cooking whims at the townhouse.

Before she was called away, Kerry had started the pickled mustard seed recipe from Momofuku so I have been babysitting that:

image.jpg

Then I want to make better use of my TMX when I get home so I asked Kerry to help me convert this recipe:

http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/lemon_buttermilk_pound_cake.aspx

Really she told me to just bung everything in there and run until ready! Couldn't quite bring myself to follow those directions completely but I did not veer far off the path. Here's the mise:

image.jpg

I did cream the butter and sugar in the TMX before tossing in the rest of the ingredients. It appears to have worked out rather well:

image.jpg

You might notice the addition of vanilla and more lemon than called for. I followed the advice of a couple of reviewers.

While the loaf baked, I vacuum sealed a couple of strip loins and tossed them in the sous-vide and started caramelizing some onions to accompany them:

image.jpg

image.jpg

My 2004 eG Blog

pickled mustard seed recipe from Momofuku

what do you do with this? i have the book as an eBook but Ive not progressed enough to be good with Calibre, the program that I use for these on my mac.

pickled mustard seed recipe from Momofuku

what do you do with this? i have the book as an eBook but Ive not progressed enough to be good with Calibre, the program that I use for these on my mac.

We made them to go with our bone marrow experiments.

DSCN1612.jpg

As drinking on duty would be frowned on - Anna decided that she would enjoy an Eeyore's Requiem alone this evening.

DSCN1614.jpg

Here's what comes of leaving Anna and a whole lot of onions together - a very delicious dinner. A nice little rib steak.

I was going to spare you all a photo of my unphotogenic breakfast but Kerry insisted that I let you all know the strange things I consider to be breakfast food:

image.jpg

Canned sardines in tomato sauce on pumpernickel.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog