• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Making Memories in Manitoulin – at it again!

attachicon.gifDSCN1555.jpg

Look what my downstairs neighbour just dropped off!

They noticed you got a new oven and decided to get on your good side! :biggrin:

Perhaps that's it!

I had the dentist's daughter over this afternoon to play with chocolate - she is a quick study.

DSCN1556.jpg

We made some bugs with Nutter Butter cookies.

DSCN1557.jpg

A few praline gianduja bars and bon bons

DSCN1558.jpg

Bark with white chocolate, black pepper, oil of bergamot and feuilletine.

DSCN1559.jpg

Pop rock bark.

DSCN1560.jpg

Frozen bananas with ganache filling - important note - sticks must be put in before freezing.

• Like 1

Darn you. Now you've got me craving Nutter Butters!

I had the dentist's daughter over this afternoon to play with chocolate - she is a quick study.

attachicon.gifDSCN1556.jpg

We made some bugs with Nutter Butter cookies.

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

What sort of pan did you use to bake the lemon bliss cake? Did you make your own tube pan?

Thanks for reminding me about Eeyore's Requiem, think I'll try that one out this weekend.

What sort of pan did you use to bake the lemon bliss cake? Did you make your own tube pan?

Thanks for reminding me about Eeyore's Requiem, think I'll try that one out this weekend.

It's a fairly standard bundt pan - theoretically non stick. Next time I'll spray and flour.

Anna's here! She arrived around 7 pm with her son. Coffee first, negroni second, dinner third.

DSCN1574.jpg

Only figured out I need to make dinner about an hour before they arrived - so the steak didn't have as long in the sous vide as it might have benefited it. I realized after i picked up the steak at the store that perhaps looking for some veg might have been useful - but found some bok choy in the crisper - so stir fried bok choy it was. A bit of garlic and ginger in the oil, the bok choy, then finished with some toyomansi and hoisin.

DSCN1576.jpg

I spent the day with some folks that sailing up here in a catamaran. They have an 8 year old with CP on board. We did some laundry, hit the "flee market" to see if we could find a power cord for a Play Station that had been forgotten, grocery store, liquor store - all the important places. There was a parrot on board and her husband has the same name as me - weird to hear a parrot calling your name.

I arrived last night to a warm welcome that included a cup of coffee and a negroni. Then Kerry fed my chauffeur (my #2 son) and I steak and bok choy. After a good night's sleep I was ready for breakfast so while Kerry scooted off to the hospital to take care of some unfinished business, I cobbled together a caramelised shallot, two farm-fresh eggs and some extra sharp Cabot cheddar. A very satisfactory way to start my first full day on the Island.

image.jpg

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

DSCN1581.jpg

Breakfast for me - chorizo, green onion, cheddar.

DSCN1579.jpg

A few things I dipped yesterday to be finished off whenever. Some more of the Nutter Butters and some coconut marshmallows that are attached to cookies (come in a package in the cookie section).

DSCN1578.jpg

'Party mix' clusters - pretzels, peanuts and rice chex with some extra salt.

• Like 1

DSCN1583.jpg

Affinity- part duex. Much better with the Famous Grouse that Anna brought up for me. I'm picturing it with Highland Park or Glenfarclas - I think that would be quite wonderful.

Next I shall retry the Hoot Mon that Frog Princess suggested. I suspect I'll enjoy it with this scotch.

DSCN1587.jpg

Lamb chops on the BGE.

DSCN1589.jpg

Marrow bones on the BGE.

DSCN1592.jpg

Dinner!

DSCN1593.jpg

Marrow not quite where I want it yet. Suspect it would benefit from being cooked sous vide at a higher temp - and perhaps brined first. Experiments will continue.

Kerry made hummus today to take to the clinic in the morning so I made the pita bread to accompany it.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

its connected to a water source ? can it inject steam for bread baking? wow.

My first thought when I saw the button on the stove - but no - there is a well on the oven floor into which you add the water. That should make it easy to add water to the oven floor when doing bread though.

DSCN1594.jpg

Teisen lap (thanks Sheepish) for rounds.

Took the hummus for the clinic with Anna's pita. It was a recipe from Food 52 - originally Ottolenghi in Jerusalum. It was wonderfully smooth.