• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Making Memories in Manitoulin – at it again!

You constantly bake for the staff at your hospital and this is wonderful. Do all the other doctors take turn doing this? Do staff members?

...or is this simply that wonderful time of the year when that incredible doctor comes north and bakes yummy offerings every day while she is here?

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

You constantly bake for the staff at your hospital and this is wonderful. Do all the other doctors take turn doing this? Do staff members?

...or is this simply that wonderful time of the year when that incredible doctor comes north and bakes yummy offerings every day while she is here?

Yeah - that would be it. The staff try to guilt the other docs into competitive baking but it doesn't fly.

Yes it is - but at home I have the older Ikea induction pans and I like them even more. I went digging through the demo kitchens, found the pans in the drawers, took them to the folks in the as-is room and got them to reduce them for me.

I take it the newer ones are from this line:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10101206/

My trader joes always has demos to eat and they had two induction tops with induction skillets the other day sort of like these:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tramontina-12-Gourmet-Tri-Ply-Base-Frying-Pan-Stainless-Steel/23080029

this one is non stick. is the IKEA version you prefer (older model) non-stick

thanks. sorry to take this a bit off-T

Yup all non stick new and old ones. I had already a set of pots here that were clad and suitable for induction that I had picked up inexpensively at XS Cargo - a clearance place.

The old ones are the Ikea Favorit teflon pans - here is a picture of the 11 inch one. Last time I was in Ikea there was one of the larger ones still in one of the demo kitchens - probably worth having a look in your closest one.

The ones up here are the 365+.

DSCN1399.jpg

Here's what I managed to find in Anne's garden when I left the ER a few minutes ago. Kind of a crazy day with a difficult overdose - didn't get my lunch until 3 - so my whole schedule is all buggered.

I'm amazed every time how much variety you manage to cook up in your "away from home" kitchen with what I imagine is a limited set of ingredients and equipment!

Perhaps not as limited as you would think! We keep lugging up more and more stuff. And we are pretty good at bringing special ingredients with us.

DSCN1403.jpg

Lunch was pretty late - but decided I'd better eat something cause I never know when I'll have to go back. Realized I had no mayo of any sort - but I do have all these lovely eggs. So bunged one in the TMX with a bit of grainy dijon, drizzled in some oil, finished with some salt and pepper, a bit of white balsamic for sweetness and lemon for acidity. Perfect batch of mayo.

• Like 1

Those are HUGE hearts of palm!

How long is the drive up there say, from the GTA area?

Love this thread every year, still want more outdoor pics though ;)

Got the can of them at Dollarama.

It's about 5 1/2 hours from the GTA. What time shall we expect you?

Shall try to add some more outdoor pics for you.

DSCN1413.jpg

Mussels with tomato and chorizo.

DSCN1416.jpg

Wedderburn or Bite - don't have Smith and Cross here so used the Wray and Nephew overproof.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

Spent a few hours this morning baking so I'd have some stuff to take to work tomorrow and Wednesday.

Was doing well until I got called in to help out in the ER when it went south.

DSCN1409.jpg

Some toasted coconut marshmallows with milk chocolate and some clusters with a variety of things added.

DSCN1411.jpg

Peanut butter cookies - for some reason there is about a half a dozen bottles of PB in this place - decided to get rid of one of them.

DSCN1412.jpg

Strawberry and rhubarb buckle.