• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Winged Beans

GlorifiedRice

Hi,

Has anyone anywhere in the USA (maybe Canada) seen Winged Beans fresh in any stores yet?

Im dying to make Yam Tua Phuu Thai Winged Bean Salad.. I had Winged beans once, so I know they are available in the USA

Please help

ty

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

So, where to find them and what are they? These answers do not know. I would like to know what they are and where do I find them --by what ever name. Since the name will vary, I am in Seattle where Asian Mkts. are aplenty and each is by a different Ethnic group... names for any thing range plentifulyy.

Robert

Seattle

RobertCollins, on 01 Jul 2013 - 00:13, said:

So, where to find them and what are they? These answers do not know. I would like to know what they are and where do I find them --by what ever name. Since the name will vary, I am in Seattle where Asian Mkts. are aplenty and each is by a different Ethnic group... names for any thing range plentifulyy.

Goa Beans, Asparagus Pea, Four angled bean & Winged pea

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winged_beans

^Alternate names and pics here

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

I can't tell you where to get them, but they look like green pods that the cross section looks like an X-wing fighter from Star Wars, about 1/2-3/4" across.

And they are so good its insane.

We should be growing and selling them in the USA everywhere. They are mild and delicious and extremely nutritious

Ive tried to grow them 2 times, BOTH times I couldnt get germination to occur

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

Found the seed here. https://sheffields.com/seed_genus_species_lot/Psophocarpus/tetragonolobus/9701/ and http://www.rareseeds.com/asian-winged-bean/?F_Keyword=Psophocarpus%20tetragonolobus Thanks GR, that was worth reading. I haven't yet found any seed for the cultavars which will fruit with greater than 12 hours daylight.

Edited by RobertCollins (log)

Robert

Seattle

Winged beans have been sighted this week at MithapheapMarket in Oakland, CA.

I learned this through a mailing list for students of Kasma Loha-unchit. Her classes were amazing, and the food in the various advanced series was the best Thai food I've had outside Thailand. Highly recommended.

Per la strada incontro un passero che disse "Fratello cane, perche sei cosi triste?"

Ripose il cane: "Ho fame e non ho nulla da mangiare."

Winged beans have been sighted this week at MithapheapMarket in Oakland, CA.

I learned this through a mailing list for students of Kasma Loha-unchit. Her classes were amazing, and the food in the various advanced series was the best Thai food I've had outside Thailand. Highly recommended.

No ones answering their phone. I wonder if theyd ship me some to Philly?

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

They are often available at Southeast Asian markets here in the Rhode Island area, but the quality varies extremely widely. you have to avoid them when Brown and limp, but when green and crisp, there is nothing like them on earth.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

• 4 months later...

Anyone have any luck in finding or seeing these this time of year, this is their season...

Im losing my mind someone told me shed send me some but never called me the next day and couldnt reach her myself.

They grow them at Chino Farms in Cali but I cant get a hold of anyone there, their phone number is a recording only.

Ive tried growing them but since April, Ive only gotten 1 single pod and all flowers drop off without fruiting.

Im seriously losing my culinary marbles, I need to make that salad in the worst way.

I need winged beans dammit!

• Like 1

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

Anyone have any luck in finding or seeing these this time of year, this is their season...Im losing my mind someone told me shed send me some but never called me the next day and couldnt reach her myself.They grow them at Chino Farms in Cali but I cant get a hold of anyone there, their phone number is a recording only.Ive tried growing them but since April, Ive only gotten 1 single pod and all flowers drop off without fruiting.Im seriously losing my culinary marbles, I need to make that salad in the worst way.I need winged beans dammit!

Kerry Beal and I saw them in Nations last Tuesday but it doesn't help you a bit as it is in Ontario, Canada. But we did think of you when we spotted them!

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

GR, it appears that Chino Farms is a farmer's market down in San Diego county. There is no phone number on their facebook page and yelp has them being somewhere specific you have to drive to. I know that doesn't get you the winged beans but thought you would like to know. Since I live about 20 minutes from the City of Chino (maybe 30-35 miles east of downtown Los Angeles) I had hoped it was somewhere I could drive to but alas it is not.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...