• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[CHI] Alinea – Grant Achatz – Reviews & Discussion (Part 2)

BryanZ

I join ronnie in congratulating Chef Achatz and the rest of his crew!

u.e.

[edited to ask: What restaurant won the award last year?]

Le Lan was last year's winner. Here's the entire article from last year.

Edited to add: Hopefully this is just the first "Best New Restaurant" award that Alinea will be winning this year :wink:

Edited by jesteinf (log)

-Josh

Now blogging at http://jesteinf.wordpress.com/

just made my reservation for may 19th!!! god, i can't! it's my girlfriends and i two year anniversary. i cant wait!!

Grand Cru Productions

Private High End Dinners and Personal Chef Service

in Chicago, Illinois

For more information email me at:

grandcruproductions@hotmail.com

It's unfortunate that they don't air this actual tv show... maybe they will in the future.

"cuisine is the greatest form of art to touch a human's instinct" - chairman kaga

FoodNetwork Canada will be airing an episode covering Alinea, called "Art of Achatz". If anyone can get a chance to watch it and record it some how, let me know, thanks!

http://www.foodtv.ca/ontv/titledetails.aspx?titleid=93702

Ah heck, why do the Canadians get all the good programs?!

That's it, I'm moving.

Nothing to see here.

What brand of stemware do they have at Alinea? I've been looking to purchase some good stemware and really liked what they had. I'm thinking it was Riedel, but ALinea is not listed as a restaurant on Riedel's website I guess I'll have to go back and find out. :laugh:

I am finding myself in Chicago for 2 nights starting tonight and wanted to check out Alinea, since I am alone, I prefer to dine at the bar. Does Alinea offer full food service at the bar?

John

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

Ah well that answers that question. Thanks!

There is no bar.

For single dining at a bar, Avec is hard to beat.

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

You could, of course, just sit at a table in Alinea, or is that simply not done in the US? There'll be plenty to keep you entertained, so you won't feel the loss of a dining partner too keenly I would imagine...

Si

Well that was an option, but I didn't plan it that far ahead. I called this morning and they were booked for tonight. Alas, maybe next time I am in Chicago I will have more advance notice.

John

You could, of course, just sit at a table in Alinea, or is that simply not done in the US? There'll be plenty to keep you entertained, so you won't feel the loss of a dining partner too keenly I would imagine...

Si

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

In case anyone missed it, there was a great piece about Martin Kastner, by Heather Kenny in the Chicago Reader's April 14 Restaurants issue.

The designs may look space-age, but Kastner isn't just going for the ooh factor.  He says the implements allow the chef to "control how food hits the palate."  Because the dish can only be eaten in a specific way, the flavor is maximized.  "You could never have this type of control with normal silverware," he says.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Re: "Fried Yuba Stick"

Someone on my flickr account left a comment on my picture of the "Fried Yuba Stick."

the flickr member noted that: "The yuba stick was actually dehydrated, which surprised me also that it wasn't fried."

My reply: "hmmmmm - dehydrated - that makes sense, because it wasn't exactly oily or greasy. but, if this is true, i wonder what the "sheen" and "shine"; of the yuba stick can be attributed? perhaps washed with egg whites before dehydrating in the oven?

Can anyone help clear this mystery up?

Thanks.

u.e.

[edited for spelling and strange tech-language gobbaligook]

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

Re: "Fried Yuba Stick"

Someone on my flickr account left a comment on my picture of the "Fried Yuba Stick."

the flickr member noted that: "The yuba stick was actually dehydrated, which surprised me also that it wasn't fried."

My reply: "hmmmmm - dehydrated -  that makes sense, because it wasn't exactly oily or greasy.  but, if this is true, i wonder what the "sheen" and "shine" of the yuba stick can be attributed?  perhaps washed with egg whites before dehyrdrating in the oven?

Can anyone help clear this mystery up?

Thanks.

u.e.

I was under the possibly wrong impression that it was yuba skin which forms like a pudding skin :biggrin: when the yuba is cooked. That 'skin' is then removed from the top of the cooked yuba, rolled, dried and then fried. But again, that's just my vague rememberance of its description.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com