• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need ideas for making a light corn chowder

Shel_B

This weekend or next I'd like to make Toots some corn chowder. After looking through my recipes, I discovered I have but three for this dish, and none of them really push my buttons except one from America's Test Kitchen which, coincidentally, is a lighter version of the dish. I may make that one, but before doing so I was hoping to get some more ideas for a light version of corn chowder.

Since the ATK recipe may be under some copywrite laws, I won't post it here, but I'm certainly willing to send it to anyone who'd like to take a look at it. Thanks!

... Shel

Not really chowder, but I can vouch for the corn and leek soup here: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=128339700

You could easily turn it into a chowder with some diced potato, and I don't think it would affect the experience in a bad way. Maybe add a little more seasoning.

(Full disclosure: Janet and I are domestic partners.)

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

First the haiku version:

Summer sweet corn - blend;

a little chicken broth - add;

salt, heat, serve - yum yum!

And then the recipe:

1 pound of cooked and cut corn (or a package of cooked frozen baby corn)

Place in VitaMix blender and add broth until it comes up about 80% of the way to the top of the corn

Add 1/2t salt (up to 1t depending on your taste)

Blend on high for 5 min

Temperature should be about 180°F when finished (just from the blender energy dissipated in the soup).

You will swear that there is a ton of cream in it (I use this instead of bechamel to make a gluten-free, dairy-free souffle)

If you want some meat, float a bit of pulled pork or sous vide chicken breast on top, or some cheese.

If you want it to add some color, garnish with pickeled red bell pepper and some diced jalapeno, and perhaps some cilantro.

But you don't need any of that.

Some interesting ideas, but not what I want. I'm looking for simple, flavorful corn chowder that's rich with fresh corn flavor, somewhat creamy, but nonetheless, light. None of the ideas posted in this thread do it for me either, even though there are some good ideas.

Based on what I've seen thus far, both here and on various web sites, the ATK recipe, and a somewhat similar one that I've had for a while, are the closest to what I want. The ATK recipe uses more water, no chicken stock, very little cream or dairy, and promises lots of fresh corn flavor, and that's based on my own experience with one of their techniques in another recipe. And while it uses some bacon, I can reduce the amount to maintain that "lighter" result I'm looking for. Thanks to all who've jumped in with their ideas.

... Shel

something to experiment with - highly recommended

make your chowder using grilled corn on the cob (strip the husks off, and put the unadorned corn directly on the grill until it is well toasted (speckled char all over).

cut the corn off the cob, and make corn stock out of the cobs!

corn cob stock is amazing.

use some in your corn chowder recipe of choice.

many possibilities for corn stock. it is tremendously sweet and flavorful.

make your chowder using grilled corn on the cob (strip the husks off, and put the unadorned corn directly on the grill until it is well toasted (speckled char all over).

cut the corn off the cob, and make corn stock out of the cobs!

corn cob stock is amazing.

Neither Toots nor I are particularly fond of charred and grilled corn in chowder, soups, and salads, although we do enjoy eating it on the cob. What I want is the taste of fresh, minimally processed, corn in the chowder. For our preferences, milking the cobs after the kernels have been removed is a better, or at least more interesting, option. I would scrape any remaining pulp on cobs into a bowl and then transfer the pulp to a clean kitchen towel which I'd wrap tightly around the pulp, and then squeeze out the juice from the pulp which would be added back into the chowder towards the end of the cooking time, enhancing the fresh corn taste. Adding some corn cob stock might also be a good idea. Thanks!

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

After I do some version of pretty-much everything mentioned here depending upon mood and the amount of time/energy I have, especially "milking" the cob with the back of my chef's knife (which I never forget), I cut or break the cobs into thirds, and simmer them a bit in a covered saucepan, in either plain water, or chicken stock, or fat-free skimmed milk. Or, if I'm feeling decadent, whole milk or half-and-half or, sometimes, even cream.

I think that simmering the broken cobs adds a lot of "fresh corn" flavor.

Oh, and because I'm sorta Southern, always flame a bit of bourbon to pour over the finished dish.

Just like my grandma did.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Silver Queen corn off the cob, a little chicken or seafood stock, a little heavy cream, pinches of salt, white pepper, cayenne pepper and/ or sugar, as you like, and jumbo lump blue crab. The end. Make clam chowder with the potatoes. Second choice, substitute milk for the stock, drop the crabmeat and substitute julienned fresh basil. Despite the dairy, rich but light in both cases. Best not to overthink this one...

Edited by Bill Klapp (log)

Bill Klapp

bklapp@egullet.com

Take a look at Alice Waters' recipe for Sweet Corn Soup. It sounds closer to what you're looking for. Here:
http://oursoupbowl.blogspot.com/2010/01/sweet-corn-soup.html

You can play with this to turn it into a chowder. Since this soup is fresh corn and not much else, use very fresh corn that still has some natural sugars that haven't turned to starch--that usually means fresh corn from the farmers market. I also suggest only a medium-size onion (or smaller) so the soup doesn't turn onion-y. The short cooking times for the corn will preserve the natural flavor of fresh corn. The method in this recipe is as important as good ingredients.

have fun with your corn chowder quest...

I used to make Alice Waters corn soup recipe from her original Chez Panisse Menu cookbook. The technique is the same as her recipe cited above, but she doesn't even bother with the onions. She does add cream, which I sometimes omitted and love just as much. Keep in mind that straining the soup as she suggests makes it very luxurious and not very cost effective. You are left with not a lot of soup. Good, though! You can add almost any garnish: shredded basil, chopped fresh tomato, roasted green chile, chives, and so on. Gotta have great corn to start with, though.

Take a look at Alice Waters' recipe for Sweet Corn Soup. It sounds closer to what you're looking for. Here:

http://oursoupbowl.blogspot.com/2010/01/sweet-corn-soup.html

Yes, that's much more in line with what I'm seeking. Thanks!

Having made a lot of corn soup in my life, I would still suggest that you simmer/steep those broken, de-kerneled cobs in that "1 quart of water" before you add it to the kernels and onions and finish the soup.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Having made a lot of corn soup in my life, I would still suggest that you simmer/steep those broken, de-kerneled cobs in that "1 quart of water" before you add it to the kernels and onions and finish the soup.

Yes, that has been said several times and I have also said that it's something I'd do.

... Shel

I used to make Alice Waters corn soup recipe from her original Chez Panisse Menu cookbook. The technique is the same as her recipe cited above, but she doesn't even bother with the onions. She does add cream, which I sometimes omitted and love just as much. Keep in mind that straining the soup as she suggests makes it very luxurious and not very cost effective. You are left with not a lot of soup. Good, though! You can add almost any garnish: shredded basil, chopped fresh tomato, roasted green chile, chives, and so on. Gotta have great corn to start with, though.

Lately I've been very spare with using onions in a lot of dishes, sometimes using a milder form, such as leeks or shallots, and playing around with the amounts. I thought I'd do something like that with the corn soup/chowder I'll be making. Getting good, or great, corn around here is not very difficult. It's just a matter of choosing a farmers market or going to one of a couple of great produce stores.

... Shel