• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ice Cream Stablizer Cremodan 30

alonsohdez90

If i start using ice cream stablizers such as Cuisine Tech's Cremodan 30, is it still necessary to use eggs or will the mixture of eggs and cremodan 30 be "too much" for a recipe?

i want to continue using eggs because I feel it is important to the flavor of the ice cream but i also dont want the ice creams to have a unpleasent texture.

Any additional help or suggestions regarding Cremodan 30 would also be much appreciated.

You don't use a lot of cremodan, something like 0.5% by weight, and I don't believe it is meant as a substitute for eggs or a balanced recipe, more as insurance that the texture will stay good over time.

I use about a tablespoon of cremodan and 400 grams egg yolks per gallon of ice cream base. Works for me, but if I'm doing it wrong, I hope someone will enlighten me!

Pastrygirl, if it comes out the way you like then you're doing it right!

I don't know Cremodan specifically. It could only substitute entirely for eggs if it includes emulsifiers. Getting rid of eggs means you need extra stabilization and also emulsification.

If you're using stabilizers along with egg custard, you'll just end up needing less stabilizer to get the texture right.

Notes from the underbelly

I have used it some, not enough to post a recipe. However the manufacturer was insistent that in order to work the Cremodan 30 must be brought to 180f. When I asked if that was to activate it or just to insure it was pasteurized, they wouldn't elaborate. Just kept insisting that it must reach 180f.

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

I have used it some, not enough to post a recipe. However the manufacturer was insistent that in order to work the Cremodan 30 must be brought to 180f. When I asked if that was to activate it or just to insure it was pasteurized, they wouldn't elaborate. Just kept insisting that it must reach 180f.

That's probably to hydrate / activate one of the gums. Annoying when a rep can't do more than read the instructions to you.

I'm at work but Laiskonis uses "ice cream stabilizer" in the PDF files that contains many of his recipes. He doesn't specifically state which kind but in one of his experiments within the file he mentions cremodan, which leads me to believe that he uses it. If you can acquire it, you'll see how he uses it in his ice creams.

so i used cremodan 30 today for the first time. i used a vanilla base that i really enjoy using and ive had much success with. But today after the addition of cremodan my base thickened up so much that it looked like a loose pastry cream. after allowing the base to rest for 8 hrs and spinning the ice cream, the results were not as good as i expected. a total loss of flavor and a texture that was almost sticky. i don know if i added too much cremodan or if the results that cremodan gives is not what i am looking for. please help with any kind of input.

so i used cremodan 30 today for the first time. i used a vanilla base that i really enjoy using and ive had much success with. But today after the addition of cremodan my base thickened up so much that it looked like a loose pastry cream. after allowing the base to rest for 8 hrs and spinning the ice cream, the results were not as good as i expected. a total loss of flavor and a texture that was almost sticky. i don know if i added too much cremodan or if the results that cremodan gives is not what i am looking for. please help with any kind of input.

Sounds like way too much!

How much did you add to what volume of custard base? It shouldn't be sticky.

Dosage is 0.5% Honestly I'm not sure if that is supposed to be by weight or volume, maybe it says on the canister? If you have a gallon of custard, that is 3.78 liters, or 3780 ml. Half a percent of 3780 is about 18.9, which would be a little less than 4 teaspoons, assuming a 5ml teaspoon By weight, lets say that gallon is 9 lbs (a gallon of milk alone is 8, so lets be generous when considering dissolved sugar). 9 lbs is 4090g, half a percent of which is about 20 grams. If I recall correctly, a tablespoon of Cremodan weighs around 12 grams, so either by weight or volume you're looking at between 4 and 5 teaspoons of stabilizer per gallon of base. You can try less than that but I doubt you'd want to use more.

How much did you add to what volume of custard base? It shouldn't be sticky.

Dosage is 0.5% Honestly I'm not sure if that is supposed to be by weight or volume, maybe it says on the canister? If you have a gallon of custard, that is 3.78 liters, or 3780 ml. Half a percent of 3780 is about 18.9, which would be a little less than 4 teaspoons, assuming a 5ml teaspoon By weight, lets say that gallon is 9 lbs (a gallon of milk alone is 8, so lets be generous when considering dissolved sugar). 9 lbs is 4090g, half a percent of which is about 20 grams. If I recall correctly, a tablespoon of Cremodan weighs around 12 grams, so either by weight or volume you're looking at between 4 and 5 teaspoons of stabilizer per gallon of base. You can try less than that but I doubt you'd want to use more.

i added 8.41 grams of cremodan to 1682 grams of base.......i scaled all the ingredients out, added up the total of all the ingredients , then figured out the .5% of that total. is that the wrong way to do it?

i scaled all the ingredients out, added up the total of all the ingredients , then figured out the .5% of that total. is that the wrong way to do it?

Nope, that's exactly the right way to do it.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

i scaled all the ingredients out, added up the total of all the ingredients , then figured out the .5% of that total. is that the wrong way to do it?

Nope, that's exactly the right way to do it.
Yeah, you're good. Weird that you noticed such a huge difference, I don't notice much. The base does seem thicker but I haven't felt like the cremodan interfered with flavor. I dunno, I was perfectly happy with my ice cream for years before using stabilizer, I only use it now as insurance against iciness.

im also spinning a eggless philly style vanilla, but ive noticed that the fat starts to separate as i spin it. the results are a greasy mouth feel, greasy lips and greasy spoon even though i dont over spin it. will the cremodan 30 help with this, due to it acting as an emulsifier?

over spinning is something that i fear only because it is a pain in the butt to melt it down and respin (mainly because i hate doing things twice),

is there any suggestions you guys can give to prevent this?

Speaking here only from booklearning and not from experience, if you are making ice cream commercially you probably ought to homogenize your base. That is how people get away with adding butter to formulae as a source of butterfat. I have never tried Cremodan. I note Cremodan 30 is marketed as a stabilizer, not as an emusifier.

And from experience, using a machine with a slower dasher helps. Also don't neglect to fully age your base.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I don't know Cremodan, but I made up my own mix of xanthan, guam and locut gum. First time I did it I believe I used 12:10:10 and it worked nicely with the recipe I was using at about 0.5%. second time I believe it was 15:10:10 and had a gooy mess even though it was only 0.4%... Stabilizers can be very tricky!

All was not lost though - the strawberry that was gooy couldn't be served as ice cream, but made a great milk-shake!