• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chinese Eats at Home (Part 3)

junehl

Beautiful char siu, mgaretz. For tenderloin, they look moist.

In the midst of a winter snow blizzard...yes...it's April 30th and we got 15 cm of snow so far. :sad:

So, comfort food it is: beef tenderloin stir-fried with oyster sauce on a bed of green beans, sugar snaps, red bell peppers, and shallots.

2bfbeans5545.jpg

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Beautiful char siu, mgaretz. For tenderloin, they look moist.

Thanks Dejah. Here is the stir-fry that I made with it. I made a hoisin/soy/sherry sauce and the veggies were zucchini, red pepper, bean spouts, celery, carrots, onions and mushrooms.

char-siu-stir-fry.jpg

Edited by mgaretz (log)

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Char siu seems to go with everything, doesn't it?

Are you one of these people who nip off the heads on mung bean sprouts?! I hope you don't do that when you have soy bean sprouts. The head gives these sprouts the nutty taste and texture. :smile:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Char siu seems to go with everything, doesn't it?

Are you one of these people who nip off the heads on mung bean sprouts?! I hope you don't do that when you have soy bean sprouts. The head gives these sprouts the nutty taste and texture. :smile:

Nope.

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Our internet got knocked out for four days due to the crazy blizzard that hit us on Sat. April 30th.

The 30cm of snow and 60k. winds screamed savory tong yuen:

glutineous rice flour dumplings, dried shrimp, Chinese sausage, julienned daikon, cilantro, and chili radish.

1Toyuen5594.jpg

6yuen5584.jpg

Last night, we had Cantonese Egg Foo Yung - something I hadn't made for a long time: shrimp, beef, Chinese sausage, scallion, bean sprouts.

2eggfoo5608.jpg

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

CFT: This time, yes, I used chicken stock. If I had fresh slices of pork in addition to the rest of the ingredients, I would have used stock made from pork neckbones or breast bones. Either way, yummy!

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

• 3 weeks later...

Victoria Day long weekend. Had time to make a few joongzi:

Jasmin rice, glutinous rice, lap cheong, dong goo, dried shrimp, salty pork, Spanish onion, salted egg yolk (just a couple).

1joong5714.jpg

4joong5726.jpg

5joong5732.jpg

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Dejah, that looks scrumptious!

I made charcoal-grilled char siu for dinner guests on Sunday. Charcoal grilling is my new favorite way to make char siu. Mrs. C made chicken, and we provided all of the usual accompaniments for make-your-own banh mi.

All of the char siu disappeared, so no pictures. It was purty though!

Yesterday we were treated to "___ sugar eggs". I have no idea how to write the name in Chinese: a marinade of mirin, soy, and <I wasnt watching closely enough>.

Our lovely houseguest made these. The biggest challenge was the perennial one of cooking the eggs just so - different size eggs, different pan. The first batch were WAY undercooked and the dog loved them. The second batch were cooked almost thru, but were marinated anyway, and the third batch were perfect - set whites w runny yolks.

First time I've ever eaten a cold runny yolk. We enjoyed the eggs by themselves and also experimented. One egg broken onto fresh greens made a fabulous salad dressing.

There's a new batch marinating now.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

• 2 weeks later...

My first stir-fry with a single "element" induction cooktop. The unit sits on counter and plugs into ordinary electrical outlet. Heats up to 425F in no time flat! So far, my carbon steel wok is the only pot that'll work on it. Costco $100.80, taxes included and free shipping. Great little unit for when I need that extra burner. :rolleyes:

Mixed vegetables: snow peas, wood ear, sweet peppers, onion, celery, shitaki mushrooms. To test how well the unit stays hot, I added the whole shebang in all at once and it didn't have noticable "cooling" effect!

1.5induct6095.jpg

Had to work fast!

6induct6098.jpg

Velvetized chicken - breast and thigh meat marinated in seasonings, oil, and cornstarch

7induct6101.jpg

Finished product

8induct6110.jpg

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

These "single "element" induction cooktop"s are becoming more and more popular in China - so much so that it is becoming difficult to find round bottomed woks :angry: .

They are useful not only as an extra burner, but have become de rigueur for serving hot pots at the table.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

My first stir-fry with a single "element" induction cooktop. The unit sits on counter and plugs into ordinary electrical outlet. Heats up to 425F in no time flat! So far, my carbon steel wok is the only pot that'll work on it. Costco $100.80, taxes included and free shipping. Great little unit for when I need that extra burner. :rolleyes:

Mixed vegetables: snow peas, wood ear, sweet peppers, onion, celery, shitaki mushrooms. To test how well the unit stays hot, I added the whole shebang in all at once and it didn't have noticable "cooling" effect!

Velvetized chicken - breast and thigh meat marinated in seasonings, oil, and cornstarch

Finished product

Could you tell us what brand and model that induction burner is? I'm looking on the Costco site but I can't find it........ Thanks

saluki: It's a EURODIB, item #P3D, power rate: 1600W, 120V, made in China - where else?! :smile: , imported by EURODIB Inc., information number: 1.888.056.6866. It's 15" x 11 4/5" x 2 1/2".

11 temperature settings from 150F - 450F - with digital clock timer: programmable to 150 minutes.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Thanks for the info. Many years ago I was enamored watching Ming Tsai use an induction burner meant for a wok (outrageously expensive). I am eying a hand hammered flat bottom Pao wok with a wood handle. I'm thinking it would work well on induction.

Oooh! Hot Pot!

I used a crockpot last time we did hotpot, but the height is a problem. A shallow pan and an induction burner seems an easier solution (tho it does mean I have to store yet another gadget).

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

I store mine in the wall oven...at the moment. :wacko: I've got a red sticker on the oven door to remind me NOT to turn it on until... :laugh:

I tried using sterno for hot pot and it got pretty smelly without good heat. Propane stove would work, but wouldn't it get hot and smelly too? I've only used camping gear outside.

My family is too lazy to do hot pot, but I'm going to have to have one anyway! :angry::laugh:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

-----

I tried using sterno for hot pot and it got pretty smelly without good heat. Propane stove would work, but wouldn't it get hot and smelly too? I've only used camping gear outside.

My family is too lazy to do hot pot, but I'm going to have to have one anyway! :angry::laugh:

No smell at all and the fire is very hot for hot pot. As a mtter of fact, all Chinese stores here (NYC) carry them for hot pots.

dcarch

No smell at all and the fire is very hot for hot pot. As a mtter of fact, all Chinese stores here (NYC) carry them for hot pots.

Yeah - we use the little propane stoves, and they work great. Plus they're like 1/10 the price of induction (though of course you do have to buy the propane cylinders) - you can get a good quality one for $8-10 at Asian markets here. But definitely the best / cheapest option for occasional hot-pot.

Edited by Will (log)

I requested and received a propane camping stove for Xmas, but have yet to break it out of the box. I wanted it mainly for cooking class, and now, I can add the induction as another station. This is in anticipation for my retirement hobby....sometime down the road. Nothing like being prepared. LOL!

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com