• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mini Ice Cube Trays: are they any good?

Beusho

I don't have an ice machine on my refrigerator and I don't want to put my blender through the work of making crushed ice so I thought about buying plastic ice cube trays that have mini ice cubes in them from bed bath and beyond. Anybody have any experience with these things? Are they any good and were there any problems?

“...no one is born a great cook, one learns by doing.”

I suggest a vintage ice crusher like the Ice-O-Mat (got this one at flea market for $10) Still have to make regular ice cubes or buy them but it is a great tool.

001.JPG

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have the same model ice crusher!!

It is a handy tool.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

• 4 months later...

I recommend Kotobuki mini ice cube trays. I bought one tray this past fall and immediately ordered three more. They have been in daily use for almost three months and I cannot say enough good things about them. No problems unless you over fill.

Kotobuki Mini Ice Cube Tray

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I don't have an ice machine on my refrigerator and I don't want to put my blender through the work of making crushed ice so I thought about buying plastic ice cube trays that have mini ice cubes in them from bed bath and beyond. Anybody have any experience with these things? Are they any good and were there any problems?

Do you want crushed ice, or mini ice-cubes? If you want crushed, then either the Ice-o-Mat mentioned above or hand crushing with a mallet will work fine with regular sized ice-cubes.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?