• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The rise and fall of Paula Deen

David Ross

i see the Whole Thing this way: Paula Dean, Human Being, manufactured Paula Dean, image persona, and sold the later for profit.

no problem, done all the time. The Persona began to derail and unravel publicly with how the Human chose handle the human medical issues. the Persona did not have DM. The deposition(s) accelerated the disconnect between the Human and the Persona by implicating other disconnects, what ever they might be, again for profit. in this case profit for the lawyers and the plaitiffs.

For Profit associations the Human chose to make for the Persona began to unravel. this is not a police action. its a profit action. PD Human has not been blackballed in any way from future profits be what they might be.

Indeed Tired, over the Hill NYC Television interests enlisted her for their own rating purposes. which she agreed to.

with regard to civil suits, ( not civil rights suits ) many of these are shallow legalized extortion plots.

Edited by rotuts (log)

It wasn't inconceivable after all, today Wal-Mart dropped Paula Deen-

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/breaking/chi-walmart-drops-paula-deen-20130626,0,1518850.story

I suppose her parting words with Matt Lauer on the Today Show this morning speak volumes as to Ms. Deens character-

"I is what I is and I'm not changin."

It's pretty pathetic that one ignorant woman's use of inappropriate language gets so much attention/publicity.

Are there no greater newsworthy topics in this world, perhaps of some worth?

She needs to take her $50+/- Million and enjoy life, buy an island somewhere and start her own TV network for the intellectually inept.

Edited by sadistick (log)
  • Like 1

Paula Deen is just the vehicle here. The intent is to marshal all of our thoughts into the "correct" way of thinking.

That is why there is the attention given what should be a private matter between PD and her bosses and lawyers.

4. Who prepped Deen for her deposition. Putting on my lawyer's hat, I have to question her prepping for that deposition. Those were entirely predictable lines of questioning and their were any number of ways to honestly answer the questions in a manner less detrimental to her image. When representing a public figure, especially a public figure whose business is based largely on their image, you need to spend some time thinking through how to answer predictable questions. There's a world of difference between saying "Of course" I've used a racial slur, versus saying, "yes, unfortunately I used a racial slur 30 years ago after I was held up at gun point"

A NYT article from a few days ago, sorry I can't figure out which one now, stated that she flat out did not prep for the deposition because she assumed the case was going to be dismissed. This seems a tad arrogant to me, either that, or her lawyers aren't very good.

and from the WSJ today ( you may or not need to be a subscriber hard for me to say as I am one )

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323998604578567832751771860.html?mod=trending_now_5

I think this is more likely, rotuts. Paula Deen has outlived her useful life on Food Networkand they have used the deposition to not renew her contract. Her husband is wealthy in his own right. They won't go barefoot.

Herein lies the truth. This has nothing to do with racism, let alone outdated remarks, not even certain to evidence racist intent even if politically incorrect, much milder than those any number of U.S. politicians and international celebrities have uttered. (Anybody remember Jesse Jackson calling New York City "Hymietown"? Or how many blantantly racist strikes the Nixon-Ford Secretary of Agriculture Earl Butz got before being canned?) This is about cynical, amoral, what-have-you-done-for-me-lately capitalism. If we could look behind the curtain, we would no doubt find that the PD brand does not sell like it used to. She has type II diabetes from eating the garbage that she pimps. Her constituency is Walmart shoppers in the rural South. Her aw-shucks act has no doubt worn off with the rest of the country, and she never had rational, healthy eaters among her audience. Food Network dumped her in favor of its next new thing (and let's hope that it is not named Batali or Fieri!). Walmart and other sponsors are dumping her. Walmart is guilty of sexism, racism and God knows what other high crimes and misdemeanors, on an international level. It has no room to cast stones at anyone, except maybe Enron. And yet, corporate America, who should have done its due diligence on Ms. Deen's non-PC past before hiring her, is now seizing on the opportunity to ditch a used-up commodity with no economic upside for them. And here we thought that only NFL owners did that kind of thing! Who knows, could be a mistake. Look at convicted felon and jailbird Martha Stewart!

Bill Klapp

bklapp@egullet.com

4. Who prepped Deen for her deposition. Putting on my lawyer's hat, I have to question her prepping for that deposition. Those were entirely predictable lines of questioning and their were any number of ways to honestly answer the questions in a manner less detrimental to her image. When representing a public figure, especially a public figure whose business is based largely on their image, you need to spend some time thinking through how to answer predictable questions. There's a world of difference between saying "Of course" I've used a racial slur, versus saying, "yes, unfortunately I used a racial slur 30 years ago after I was held up at gun point"

A NYT article from a few days ago, sorry I can't figure out which one now, stated that she flat out did not prep for the deposition because she assumed the case was going to be dismissed. This seems a tad arrogant to me, either that, or her lawyers aren't very good.

We already know she's an idiot.

• Like 1

Paula Deen is just the vehicle here. The intent is to marshal all of our thoughts into the "correct" way of thinking.

That is why there is the attention given what should be a private matter between PD and her bosses and lawyers.

What you refer to as "political correctness" I would call common courtesy and respect.
  • Like 1

JJ says PD can be redeemed !

http://www.mercurynews.com/food-wine/ci_23550340/rev-jesse-jackson-paula-deen-can-be-redeemed

not to stir the pot (flames?), but is this the Pot calling the Kettle Black? :blink: or how ever it goes :huh:

and that Paragon of Virtue, Righteousness and the American Way (NYT) adds this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/27/arts/television/cooking-up-redemption-with-a-dollop-of-denial.html?ref=arts&_r=0

Edited by rotuts (log)

No one is perfect, the world isn't and Paula Deen certainly isn't.

As an ethnic person, I've been on the receiving end of racist comments, hence I don't use them.

But, I've said my share of stupid things in life and when I've recounted them, I've done so apologetically and with humilty. Not with justification and smugness (without a legal team I may add)

Given those around her know this is the person she truly is, then good.

Come uppence justified as for someone who "Is who she Is"

...I mean really, if she hadn't lost any sponsors we wouldn't even be hearing from her.

Edited by GordonCooks (log)

What you refer to as "political correctness" I would call common courtesy and respect.

No, Sylvia. A lot of it is bullying. I'm not talking about Paula Deen, here.

“No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?”

Edited by annabelle (log)

Her constituency is Walmart shoppers in the rural South.

Oh, so only CERTAIN stereotyping is abhorrent. Can you please skip the rural-south-Walmart-shopper bashing? The largest US retailer sells organics, lactose free milk, and the same bougie Greek yogurt as Whole Foods or Fresh Market. Some shoppers would rather keep the sales tax revenue at home, in our obviously pathetic-to-you, "rural" communities. Overgeneralization is at the heart of prejudice on all fronts. We dismiss, or worse, actively dislike, the very things we find unfamiliar. It's basic human nature, and it requires self awareness to overcome.

• Like 1

Celeste, mais yeah. It doesn't matter that "Master Chef" is featuring Wal-Mart produce and meats in its current season. Clearly, Gordon Ramsey and company are rural Southern hicktards and not worthy of our attentions.

One thing about PD the person and PD the Persona you could not manufacture a " ........... " that would be easier to ridicule.

and we all know to ridicule a persona is one thing, but to ridicule a person is quite another thing.

I mean, from first had experience I could tell you some true stories about MS, felon, that would curl your toes.

Edited by rotuts (log)