• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The rise and fall of Paula Deen

David Ross

I'm just wondering if this means there's an opening at the Food Network for a loud, 60-something, plump Southern woman with a fondness for butter.

Because if so....

If they're willing to go 50-something, I'm there.

I'm just wondering if this means there's an opening at the Food Network for a loud, 60-something, plump Southern woman with a fondness for butter.

Because if so....

Substitute pork fat for butter, and I've got 40 covered...AND a full head of natural, silvery, kinky/nappy hair.

Because if so....

Substitute pork fat for butter, and I've got 40 covered...AND a full head of natural, silvery, kinky/nappy hair.

I say we work up an audition tape.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Another point to consider is all the innocent people behind the scenes that may become victims of Paula Deen's actions. Whether it's proven in a court of law or not, the damage is done and it remains to be seen how deep the damage will go. We already know that Food Network canned her, so let's hope that the people who worked on her shows will be moved to other Food Network programming. If the public outcry grows, it could endanger the rest of the empire including the cookbooks, cookware and food products, potentially affecting the printer, the delivery driver, the stocker, on and on and on. Of course, someone who uses bad judgement and puts themselves in a position of getting to this miserable state is someone who doesn't consider how their actions may affect the hundreds of people who work supporting the brand.

With the possible exception of some of her personal assistants, I think the industry will be able to weather the demise of the Paula Deen brand.

No doubt the industry will survive, but it's the individual employees at all the different vendors that support her brand that I would be concerned about.

Another point to consider is all the innocent people behind the scenes that may become victims of Paula Deen's actions. Whether it's proven in a court of law or not, the damage is done and it remains to be seen how deep the damage will go. We already know that Food Network canned her, so let's hope that the people who worked on her shows will be moved to other Food Network programming. If the public outcry grows, it could endanger the rest of the empire including the cookbooks, cookware and food products, potentially affecting the printer, the delivery driver, the stocker, on and on and on. Of course, someone who uses bad judgement and puts themselves in a position of getting to this miserable state is someone who doesn't consider how their actions may affect the hundreds of people who work supporting the brand.

Oh come now. This info was leaked by the plaintiff in the suit looking to get money out of Deen. The allegations will never be proved, because they are not part of the case. They are completely peripheral. The leak was to press her into settling, which is hardly an uncommon tactic in civil suits with celebrities. So don't talk about her "actions" hurting these poor little people. Blame the attorney and plaintiff. The leak is the proximate cause of their potential misery.

yes

FN is a business that is works to make $$. PD is relatively expensive. she was on thin ice re her diabetes and that she kept that to herself.

this just gave the $$ making bean counters a way to move on with a 'Fresh Face ie cheeep ' to do the same thing for them

she did admit to what she said and said she was sorry. she cant live that close to Washington DC can she?

or

Oh come now. This info was leaked by the plaintiff in the suit looking to get money out of Deen. The allegations will never be proved, because they are not part of the case. They are completely peripheral. The leak was to press her into settling, which is hardly an uncommon tactic in civil suits with celebrities. So don't talk about her "actions" hurting these poor little people. Blame the attorney and plaintiff. The leak is the proximate cause of their potential misery.

As I mentioned, whether it's proven in a court of law or not, the damage to Paula Deen's reputation has been done and "it remains to be seen how deep the damage will go." It's my view that Paula's actions could potentially affect people who work for companies that produce goods for the brand. Is it inconceivable to imagine the CEO of Walmart saying enough is enough and pull her products from the shelves? Nothing is off the table at this point, regardless of how utterly ridiculous and unintelligent it may sound.

Sure, Food Network will survive and prosper and the next Guy with spiked hair and flip flops is just one diner away. Paula's make-up artist will get hired by Kim Kardashian to put mascara on her daughter North and Ms. Deen will rise again. Sadly, some peope will have been hurt along the way.

Oh, David. Honestly, it's not like she's single-handedly taken down the NYSE. Martha Stewart couldn't even do that.

The plaintiff is only including Paula Deen in the suit because she has deep pockets. Bubba has been a pack of trouble since he was a teen. Paula tried to help him out and got burned.

It's my view that Paula's actions could potentially affect people who work for companies that produce goods for the brand. Is it inconceivable to imagine the CEO of Walmart saying enough is enough and pull her products from the shelves? Nothing is off the table at this point, regardless of how utterly ridiculous and unintelligent it may sound.

But I think this is a little bit backwards. The products are not produced for the brand. The brand is applied to the products. Consider this page at Amazon. Note the bullet point that says "Paula Deen and Teflon are registered trademarks used with permission". Okay, so there is some actual Dupont Teflon used in the product. But no Paula Deenlon. These aren't her products. There's no Paula Deen in the product. She herself is merely a latter day Aunt Jemima.

I bet her audience doesn't give a hoot about all this other than the fact that people are persecuting Paula.

Not from anything I've read about it. For every one outraged! post there are ten "screw Food Network" posts.

My son just had Paula Deen's son 's show on briefly. He said that the son mentioned his mother and her name was half censored. "____a Deen" was what was broadcast.

Either a random glitch or she has become a non-person on FN.

If FN really did that they are just adding to her mystique. She'll have her own channel by the time the dust settles.

To be honest all I know about Paula Deen comes from news stories about her health and the seriously unhealthy food that she is famous for. I don't find her cooking or her TV persona the least appealing, nor am I surprised by her expressions of the racism that lies so deep in our American culture. Uncovering this kind of thing moves us forward in teensy steps.

Kudos to Dylan Wilson for his photo in the NYT front section today showing the lines to get in to Paula's Savannah restaurant. By the looks of it, Paula hasn't been doing her fans many favors the last few years. Lordy, but I shouldn't be laughing.

• Like 2