• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chinese Eats at Home (Part 1)

Dejah

just a glimpse to what I'm baking for my folks and loyal customers (they order every year)

love letters - kuih kapit

pic172.jpg

Oh, peony your love letters look beautiful! How nice! Could you share the recipe, please? Can I make them without rolling them up?

Gastro. No. You can make them without rolling up, but no one does that. Reasons being...it'll be a flat thin disc and extremely prone to breakage. The other usual shape is fold over twice (take a peek here). Do you have the irons? Are they well-seasoned? Have you done it before? I've been an "assistant" since I was 5, till now I'm still too chicken to try. Best you find a partner, so one person handles the irons, another folds...quick. Good luck.

Edit: Few posts down that link, there's The Art of Making Perfect Love Letters.

Edited by Tepee (log)

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

yes, we r the "force child labour "... :raz: by our beloved parents every CNY season. We have no choice but help made these cny goodies.

wow, tepee, you really started v young. me, guess I was 7 years old then.

ya,Gastro. you need helpers, n you need the mould to do love letters.

peony

Ah, phooey. I don't have the irons OR the help to make them. And I've never done them before. Oh man and love letters are extremely tasty, too! If you SEA folks could share a pictoral on how to make them, that would be most appreciated. You guys are so lucky to get the yummy food that you have over there.

sheetz: Can you give more enticing details on the siu yook?

I followed this recipe but did the roasting in a turbo convection oven.

Thanks, sheetz. I might splurge on a piece of pork belly and surprise my mom on CNY day 2 when I go to make my visit. :biggrin:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Made beef cottage pie for dinner. Not chinese  :rolleyes:  so no pix, eh?  :wink: lol. Dessert to counter the heat is winter melon with boxthorn berries, longan and honey dates - sweetened with honey rock sugar.

toongwajoong.jpg

This is made with winter melon (dessert)? How big is your winter melon? A small one or big one? Can't tell from the scale. You hollow out the whole thing?

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

I couldn't believe how good my estimate was this time. It yielded exactly 5 bowls of tong sui (5 x 250ml).

Chop off the top. Dig out as little as possible...only the parts with seeds. You need the structure. Fill up with water and other ingredients. Steam for 1.5 - 2 hours. To serve, ladle out soup, then gently scoop out the melon flesh for each bowl. It would have softened and absorbed flavour from the soup. Yum.

Get the smallest one for you and your better half. :smile:

Edited by Tepee (log)

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

Chop off the top. Dig out as little as possible...only the parts with seeds. You need the structure. Fill up with water and other ingredients. Steam for 1.5 - 2 hours. To serve, ladle out soup, then gently scoop out the melon flesh for each bowl. It would have softened and absorbed flavour from the soup. Yum.

I am not very clear: Is this savory soup or sweet dessert?

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

This tong should fix the eyesight part....with the boxthorn berries. But he'll have to add gingko nuts for the other problem. Nah...I think he's just plain vain...get those glasses out, Ah Leung Gaw!

Host Note: This topic has become too large for our servers to handle. The topic continues HERE

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)