• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Calories in canned foods

GRoston

All,

I would like to better understand the number of calories consumed versus the number of calories reported on the label of canned goods.

To determine calories, the food substance in question is put into a bomb calorimeter and is burned. With canned foods, the question is 'What exactly is placed into the calorimeter?'

(The following assumesis that the packing liquid is discarded before the contents are consumed.)

If the packing liquid is discarded before the contents are added to the calorimeter, then the value reported on the label would be as accurate a representation of the actual calorie count as possible. However, if the entire contents of the can are placed into the calorimeter, the value reported on the label could be quite inaccurate:

• For items packed in water, e.g., beans, the number of calories consumed would be greater than the value reported on the label as the water adds no calories.
  • For items packed in oil, e.g., stuffed grape leaves, the number of calories consumed would be less than the value reported on the label as the oil adds many calories.

So, finally, my question: Could you please tell me which approach is used for determining the calorie count value reported on the label of canned goods.

Thank you.

A number of items packed in oil have a clear notation on the nutrition panel: "drained" or similar language, to indicate that the packing oil is not included in the calorie count. I'd think that the watery stuff in canned veg & beans adds a trivial amount to the calorie count.