• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need a Hawthorn Strainer that fits my WMF Loft Boston shaker

kbrede

The subject about says it all. I'm a cocktail mixing newbie. After researching Boston Shakers I decided to go with the WMF Loft version. I didn't realize at the time, that the metal half pouring side, was larger in diameter than standard. At one time there was a WMF Loft Hawthorne Strainer that fit this tin, but it's no longer made. Does anyone know of a strainer that will fit tightly onto the WMF Loft metal shaker half?

Thanks,

Kent

Welcome, Kent.

I bet you'll be happy with a regular Hawthorne strainer. It doesn't have to fit tightly. The two ears and handle keep it in place. It's only purpose is to keep the large ice out of the glass. Smaller ice chips will go through. If you want to remove those too, then you need to double-strain by pouring through the Hawthorne and then through a fine-mesh strainer held in your other hand. This technique is also used to remove fragments of muddled ingredients (e.g. mint, citrus, fresh ginger).

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

The largest diameter strainer going is the Wustof Hawthorne. Should fit perfectly. This is very popular with hotel bartenders in Europe. I like this style for nice, clean pours as it keeps ice well away from the edge.

The Dead Parrot; Built from the ground up by bartenders, for everyone:

Monkey Shoulder Ultimate Bartender Champions, 2015

Twitter

Instagram

Untappd

The largest diameter strainer going is the Wustof Hawthorne. Should fit perfectly. This is very popular with hotel bartenders in Europe. I like this style for nice, clean pours as it keeps ice well away from the edge.

Adam - Is it this one?

An update on this. The Wustof Hawthorne strainer is listed as "back in stock soon" but I just got word from Cocktail Kingdom that they are no longer going to carry this strainer. So from what I can tell there are no strainers that fit the WMF Loft tin. Guess I'll be getting a regular size. Thanks all for the suggestions. :)