• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Liquid nitro cocktails

rckb455

I've done it, the main issue is that they can easily get too cold. The LN2 Primer is a good place to start.

I have always used my stand mixer, but then I have only done this for groups, where I wanted fairly large amounts.

You really do have to taste test everything, the cold affects flavor a little. Also, anything carbonated will lose the carbonation.

Overall, I found it to be mostly too much trouble unless the group was large enough to consume a couple quarts of drink at once.

Don't forget safety issues!

I've done it, the main issue is that they can easily get too cold. The LN2 Primer is a good place to start.

I have always used my stand mixer, but then I have only done this for groups, where I wanted fairly large amounts.

You really do have to taste test everything, the cold affects flavor a little. Also, anything carbonated will lose the carbonation.

Overall, I found it to be mostly too much trouble unless the group was large enough to consume a couple quarts of drink at once.

Don't forget safety issues!

Thanks Lisa!

Isn't this just gimmickry? It would do nothing to improve a cocktail. A guy who used to live down the street worked at Air Products and used to bring some liquid nitrogen home once in a while and put on a show for the neighbors. He was very safety conscious with the stuff. One needs to be very careful handling it and using it