• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Why Are My Local (NYC) Coffee Prices on the Rise?

weinoo

My local supplier (who carries Stumptown and another local, Brooklyn brand) is now up to around $17 for 12 oz. of coffee. The price has increased twice this year.

Which is interesting to me after having read this article in the WSJ...

While prices have been falling for much of the year as global supplies have exceeded demand, the latest leg of the drop comes as farmers in Brazil are harvesting new coffee beans even as they haven't finished selling last season's supplies.

Anyone have any other insight into this?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Im very lucky, Im able to roast my own and I get the Greens from Sweet Maria's. I buy 20 lbs at a time ( much cheaper shipping ) on the months that the 'new' coffee shows up at their place.

Im really guessing this: "coffee beans" are not all equal. the price drop might reflect 'bulk' non- arabica that goes into those cans of pre ground beans ( MJB etc )

the beans Roasted you are buying are the same that SM sells green: top stuff.

a good lbs of green at SW seems to sell at 7 $$ a lbs. the places that roast yours have no doubt bought in BIg Bulk ( as greens keep for some time if properly stored ) and with their costs etc there is no way you will see those roasted beans drop in price for any 'global' reason.

Brazil sells may types of beans. they are a massive producer. go to SM and see the Dry Process brazil which is a vital (1/3 d by volume) part in any outstanding espresso.

the rest? cheeeep.

Edited by rotuts (log)