• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Must Visit Chocolatiers in Zurich

I find myself heading to Zurich next week on business and will have about 72 hours in the city. So between client meetings, dinner, etc, I will be on a mission to find excellent chocolate products. Does anyone have any recommendations? There are a few threads going back to about 2006, but nothing recently.

Have you been to Zurich? What made you swoon?

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

Hi Steve,

I go to Zurich regularly for business. I like the cru sauvage truffles at Sprüngli which are made from wild cocoa beans (I've tried all their dark chocolate truffles and these are my favorites). Sprüngli also has this delicious pastry called an amaretti which is like a little meringue topped with cherry-flavored cream and covered in dark chocolate; really lovely. (For non chocolate items, they make a killer Bircher Muesli). Läderach has a nice assortment of dark chocolate truffles and a large selection of barks. Tschirren has fabulous pastries and chocolates but they are in Bern. They have a shop inside the train station which is about an hour from Zurich.

I always make sure to hit the chocolate shops at the airport before leaving - although the selection is limited, they typically have a lot of free samples!

Hi Steve,

I go to Zurich regularly for business. I like the cru sauvage truffles at Sprüngli which are made from wild cocoa beans (I've tried all their dark chocolate truffles and these are my favorites). Sprüngli also has this delicious pastry called an amaretti which is like a little meringue topped with cherry-flavored cream and covered in dark chocolate; really lovely. (For non chocolate items, they make a killer Bircher Muesli). Läderach has a nice assortment of dark chocolate truffles and a large selection of barks. Tschirren has fabulous pastries and chocolates but they are in Bern. They have a shop inside the train station which is about an hour from Zurich.

I always make sure to hit the chocolate shops at the airport before leaving - although the selection is limited, they typically have a lot of free samples!

Thanks for the tips FrogPrincesse! Sprungli is likely going to get a visit. I won't have time to get to Bern this trip.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

I'm not sure whether this will help, but this page on Zurich's Ecole Chocolat site must include at least some makers who are located in Zurich: http://www.ecolechocolat.com/chocolate-maker.php

Thanks Mjx!

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things