• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Monosodium Glutamate/MSG: The Topic

16 minutes ago, gfweb said:

I have friends who SWEAR that they get bad effects from MSG, but can gobble Doritos with no effect. 

Uh huh.

Never had a Doritos to test out that unstated theory.  In fact the above-posted event was my sole response to perhaps MSG.  No one else at the table felt the need to stand in the rain.

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Life in the Meadows and Rivers

Cheers & Chocolates

7 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Are you sure? It is in most convenience foods, snacks etc - usually listed as flavor enhancer. Also naturally in cheese, tomato, mushrooms and a host of other foods.

I'm sorry I ever said a word. I've never gotten dizzy from a handful of cheetos or a sliced tomato, and I've eaten plenty of both. This thread proves that people just love to defame or defend MSG at the drop of a hat. I'm out!

• Haha 1