• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Watermelon Radishes

GlorifiedRice

Are you looking for the radishes or the seeds (since you mention 'online' and 'August', it sort of sounds like you're after seeds)?

Sustainable Seed Co. has them (http://sustainableseedco.com/heirloom-vegetable-seeds/pe-t/radish-heirloom-seeds/watermelon-radish-seeds.html), and the actual radishes seem like something that should be available at farmer's markets, if there's a good one near you.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

Hi,------------------------and Id love to make a semi spectacular crudite platter with them...

Thanks

Here is a spectacular and delicious idea for you.

There are three parts in a watermelon. The very sweet red center, the not so sweet pink layer just before the white rind and the white rind.

The pink layer makes a wonderful salad, that little sweetness balances out the sharpness of the radish.

Use that and watermelon radish to make a watermelon, watermelon radish salad.

dcarch

Has anyone here grown them?

Are they easy?

Im growing Sansho pepper, Mugwort and Sweet Cicely (The Sweet Cicely took forever to grow and died my first try)

I just am not a great gardener...

Most of the people I know who have vegetable gardens do grow radishes, so I imagine that they are not regarded as difficult. The worst-case scenario is you end up back where you are now, so it might be worth trying to grow them, as you're alreadygrowing some other things, and wouldn't be starting from scratch (e.g. taking up part of your yard and prepping the soil).

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

I am growing watermelon radishes for the first time this year. They seem to be taking longer to mature than the other types I grow (Easter egg and French breakfast) but I expect to be able to have usable size roots in 4 -5 weeks after planting. Radishes are super easy to grow. They do attract flea beetles, leaving the leaves looking like lace but that doesn't seem to bother most of the plants. I bought seed at the local Agway. Johnny's Seeds carries them but calls them 'Red Meat radishes'.

Edited by ElainaA (log)

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

They're best grown in the fall.

They tend to bolt to flowering and not form well in hot weather.

~Martin

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!