• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Spinach?"

rotuts

My farmers market has started in N.E. One of the best 'farmers' are a Hmong family that grow there own. many 'oriental-ish' green veg not available in the run of the mill markets.

Pea Shoots, Bok Choy etc.

today they had "Spinach." its not a western spinach, its more of a green tender leaf that's thicker and water filled compared to the traditional western spinach.

Spinach.jpg

these are about 7 - 8 " tall.

many thanks

Yes, this is "Malabar Spinach" as Heidi as said. It need not become too slimy (as Dejah said) if you cook it "just barely" - like just wilting it in a soup (as Heidi mentioned). Think of the treatments for okra to make it less "slimy". MIcrowaving it is not something I would do with it, BTW, so far as my inclinations go.

Kasma Loha-unchit has a recipe for cooking this vegetable with eggs. (Assuming I'm thinking of the same vegetable--pak bpahng in Thai, ten choi in Chinese.) The eggs lessen some of the slimy quality and taste good with this veg.

To make stir-fried "slippery" veg with eggs: Wash and drain the greens. Remove any tough, fibrous stems so that you have only tender leaves and stems; set aside. Beat some eggs in a bowl and season with fish sauce or soy sauce; set aside. (I season 4 large eggs with 1 tsp fish sauce.) Heat a wok or large skillet over high heat, add oil, and briefly saute some chopped garlic. Add the veg, and stir fry just until wilted. Season the veg with a little fish sauce or soy sauce. Pour the eggs into the pan, let set briefly, then turn over the mixture in the pan, letting it cook until the eggs are done. If desired, season with white pepper. Serve hot. This egg & veg combo makes an easy weekday dinner with rice.

We buy it from a farmer's market sometimes when we're in Hawai'i. In Tagalog it is "alugbati." The secret is indeed not to overcook it to avoid the slimy texture. I usually toss it quickly in olive oil and garlic, or whatever flavor combination works with what else I'm making.