• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Fussy" Coffee Cake Recipe - What is the Goal?

Porthos

I am really a cook, not that much of a baker, but I just used a recipe my wife requested for a coffee cake. I do understand a few of the basics, why you cream the butter and sugar first and such, but not much more.

The recipe I just used had you do the usual creaming first, add the eggs and vanilla, but then it wanted the dry ingredients added a bit at a time, alternating with adding milk. In my mind this was a bit "fussy" but if there is a good reason for it I'm all ears. I'm willing to do things that make since and I understand - but when something looks like "black magic" instructions it leaves me cold. Any insights you all can give me are welcomed.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I find two additions of each wet and dry is usually "little by little" enough - half the dry, then half the wet, then the rest of the dry and the rest of the wet. If you add all of the flour first it will get too thick and be over-mixed by the time you beat all the liquid in to loosen it up. If you add all the liquid first, it won't emulsify well into the creamed mixture and will separate and look curdled.

How did your cake come out?

Edited by pastrygirl (log)

Thank you pastrygirl. I always wondered why you were supposed to follow those directions. It's truly clear now. (Yeah, I'm a slow learner some times.)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Would you post the recipe?

edited for grammar & spelling. I do it 95% of my posts so I'll state it here. :)

"I have never developed indigestion from eating my words."-- Winston Churchill

Talk doesn't cook rice. ~ Chinese Proverb