• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A question about Dorie Greenspan's "Perfect Party Cake"

oli

In Baking, by Dorie, she has a recipe for "Perfect Party Cake" where she mentions in her ingredient list, that she prefers buttermilk with the lemon.

What does that mean, I am not quite clear?

As written in the book - 11/4 cups whole milk or buttermilk (I prefer buttermilk with the lemon)

The cake is flavored with lemon zest and extract, plus lemon juice in the buttercream. I think the implication is that she likes the tang of buttermilk with the lemon flavor of the cake but that whole milk will work, if that's what you have. Or you might choose to substitute other flavoring for the lemon and prefer the blander milk.

Edited to clarify the various lemon elements.

Edited by Fernwood (log)

I baked Dorie Greenspan's cake, called the Perfect Party Cake, but it didn't rise very much. I am wondering if my problem is that I used powdered milk instead of the real deal? My wife thinks I over mixed it, but I did mixed it exactly the amount of time the recipe called for. In fact i used a timer. The other thing my wife said is that maybe I used too much butter when I buttered the pans. I just rubbed the sides on bottom with a stick of butter just enough to coat it.

Edited by oli (log)

Doesn't the buttermilk add a certain amount of acidity to the batter? Did you compensate for this somehow, or should you have?

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"