• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Problem with wok – everything sticks to it.

Rustem

Rotuts,

do you use it on Induction stove ? I still cant find anything like this in Switzerland. May be I will use service like www.myus.com to buy at amazon.com and ship over here.

Rustem.

If you're having trouble finding an induction cooktop (or one that has a compatible plug), I would not get too worked up about it: whatever advantages induction cooktops may have, I do not believe they get any hotter than glass ceramic (which gets extremely hot). You do need adequate contact between the wok and the heat source, but that will be identical with glass ceramic and induction.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

Hi rustem,

I was reading the newspaper the other day, and there was an article by a well known home cook, ms fong, she said that you need to "process" your wok after you bring it back from the store, otherwise the stick problem will happen, and then,this problem will stick with you.

Good news is, she said you can still fix it. I forgot the details though, will give you updates later.

For non-stick effect, "use just water to clean it. Very important."----ms fong.

Hi rustem,

I was reading the newspaper the other day, and there was an article by a well known home cook, ms fong, she said that you need to "process" your wok after you bring it back from the store, otherwise the stick problem will happen, and then,this problem will stick with you.

Good news is, she said you can still fix it. I forgot the details though, will give you updates later.

For non-stick effect, "use just water to clean it. Very important."----ms fong.

This "process" you mention is called "seasoning" and has been mentioned several times up-thread.

Should you need to clean your wok with something more potent than water (we all have little accidents), then the wok can be scrubbed then re-seasoned.

Who is this "ms fong" and where is she so well known? Neither I or Mr. Google have ever heard of her. Not that she is wrong.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto