• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ruhlman's "Bouchon-style" Onion Soup

Shel_B

That's pretty much the way I make my onion soup, although I got my recipe long, long ago...

My advice is to use white onions, not yellow ones -the yellow ones never seem to break down properly. And, red/purple are too sweet IMO, although some people swear by adding a small % red onion.

If it comes out too pale in color, add a tiny amount of Worcestershire or dark soy sauce.

Too much cheese.

I prefer my onion soup to be onion soup, as opposed to melted cheese with onion flavor, however that onion flavor was achieved.

So, use less cheese. The cheese is just a topping. FWIW, I agree with you.

... Shel

I tested this recipe before the book was published and my notes indicate how surprised I was at how good the soup turned out without stock. Truly delicious.

More and more these days, I'm eliminating stock and using plain, good quality water in my soups. I, too, am generally pleased with using just water.

... Shel

My advice is to use white onions, not yellow ones -the yellow ones never seem to break down properly. And, red/purple are too sweet IMO, although some people swear by adding a small % red onion.

If it comes out too pale in color, add a tiny amount of Worcestershire or dark soy sauce.

I've never had any problems carmelizing yellow onions. I caramelize long and slow, and get a nice, deep brown color as a result. Ruhlman's recipe calls for Spanish onions. I'd like to try using them just to see what the difference is between them and yellow onions.

... Shel